Game-Labs Forum

Battle timer and spawn distance

A Couple of questions, what is the limit on being able to join battles? I had ai's joining after 20 minutes. Surely the time limit should equate to what ships are visible on the horizon (not more than 5 mins), it feels like i am playing at the arcade at the moment not close to a realistic sim.

Secondly ships spawning straight into the battle is clearly wrong, they should surely spawn in, a set distance from the nearest player in that direction to give the illusion of coming over the horizon ( 3000m may still be to close). Suddenly being surrounded by a fleet of ships of the line does nothing but put a sour taste in ones mouth. Are these two thing under review?

A Couple of questions, what is the limit on being able to join battles? I had ai's joining after 20 minutes. Surely the time limit should equate to what ships are visible on the horizon (not more than 5 mins), it feels like i am playing at the arcade at the moment not close to a realistic sim.

Secondly ships spawning straight into the battle is clearly wrong, they should surely spawn in, a set distance from the nearest player in that direction to give the illusion of coming over the horizon ( 3000m may still be to close). Suddenly being surrounded by a fleet of ships of the line does nothing but put a sour taste in ones mouth. Are these two thing under review?

1) Its 10minutes from the start of a battle for players to join. So once the battle timer hits 50:00 minutes. Players can no longer join.

Sadly, currently there is no timer to affect AI. And they will continue to spawn into your battle.

2) I agree, Ai spawning in shouldn't magically *poof*appear* right beside you. This also applies to players.

Hi,

AI will only join if the battle rating is in favour of the opponent, pick your battles with care and suffer less. I'm fine with that

Although the spawning gives some sweet tactical options, it's totally unrealistic.

I rly like Capt-Pugwash suggestion of spawning at a set distance.

Grtzzz Bubbles

One could consider to not close the battle. but increase the spawning distance with time. And also display the current distance in OW. This would prevent the feeling of being locked-out, while at the same time avoid to many unpleasant surprises (no pun intended) for the combatants.

Edited by schnablo

Currently spawning ships in their relative positions and distances in the battle circle at initial instance creation works quite well. If I am far downwind of the enemy near the edge of the circle, I will find myself far downwind in the instance. But then ships that join after the instance is created can show up much closer to the enemy (I think they are teleported to the instance creators location). This both looks and feels ridiculous, and provides an incentive to stay out of the initial instance creation, especially if you are in a slower ship that might not have been able to close the distance on the enemy in OW or gain a favorable wind position. It is a mechanic that is ripe for abuse.

As such, the minimum distance for a reinforcement to enter, even if they are clicking join only moments after the instance is created, should be the maximum distance ships join at in initial creation (i.e. the edge of the circle). The distance should then increase from there as time lapses.

Currently spawning ships in their relative positions and distances in the battle circle at initial instance creation works quite well. If I am far downwind of the enemy near the edge of the circle, I will find myself far downwind in the instance. But then ships that join after the instance is created can show up much closer to the enemy (I think they are teleported to the instance creators location). This both looks and feels ridiculous, and provides an incentive to stay out of the initial instance creation, especially if you are in a slower ship that might not have been able to close the distance on the enemy in OW or gain a favorable wind position. It is a mechanic that is ripe for abuse.

As such, the minimum distance for a reinforcement to enter, even if they are clicking join only moments after the instance is created, should be the maximum distance ships join at in initial creation (i.e. the edge of the circle). The distance should then increase from there as time lapses.

It is a mechanic that is both extremely easy to abuse, destroys any realism this game has, and ruins the fun entirely.

Yes the initial creation is awesome, that you are setup exactly as you were in the circle, however, after the battle is created any player spawning in should spawn in at 3000m or so from the direction he was going.

Right now, I can initiate a battle in a lynx against a faster opponent, and my Victories, etc. in my group can then spawn literally right in next to the opponent that's ahead of me still by a long ways. It's not only a griefing tool but a way to teleport larger ships directly into the fighting, resulting in the other player having no chance to run.