Game-Labs Forum

Doing the math

Would you prefer a RL non compressed travel system  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer time compression or RW travel times. Please read post below before decidin.

• Time compressed
    • RL
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
    • Other( please explain in post)
  2. 2. If RL do you think they could come up with activities to pass the time?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes and I have suggestions to add( please post)
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
    • Other, please explain in post.

I do find the kind of mechanic used by PotBS, Sid Meyer's Pirates and every sailing game I've played (that is, a greatly shrunken Caribbean with enhanced sail times) working and adequate...

There is a reason that despite all the discrepancies other age of sail games tend to have time/distance compression is constant. The game simply wouldn't work without it.

What is the point of sailing if we aren't actually sailing but having our ship go in a direction while we play arena pvp?  The game would be short lived if you had to sail that long.  It isn't going to happen.  The devs would have gone that route already if it was.

There's certainly an irony to asking that sail time be increased while at the same time asking that features be implemented so that you wouldn't have to suffer them...

Here's a work around I think we can all agree on, at some point battle instances should take place on the same map as the open world and your positions in the instance should be relative to your positions on the open world map too, both when joining and leaving the instance. If and when that is implemented, you can get yourself into a battle instance with Kaboki and side by side sail the open world real time together. :P

• Like 1

What is the point of sailing if we aren't actually sailing but having our ship go in a direction while we play arena pvp?  The game would be short lived if you had to sail that long.  It isn't going to happen.  The devs would have gone that route already if it was.

Well the point of sailing is to get somewhere you aren't, nor would one need to play arena pvp and indeed could sail their ship manually over as long of distances as their circumstances allow them and they want. But the option would exist. Many options could exist.

And I know it isn't happening, believe me. I simply find the idea interesting and wish to explore it conceptually, this is general discussions after all. In fact I voted against it in this poll and tend to lean more gamey in the game vs reality scale.

As it is, Naval Action is set up to be physically very unlike any previous sailing title in combat. The difference I'm trying to describe would be more spiritual, a different way of going about open world actions that would require much more forethought and planning and I don't believe it would necessarily destroy the possibility for instant gratification in playing. Another thing to add could be chance pve encounters expressed retrospectively, so you might log on to find a notice on your voyage and choose to explore it or ignore. Sails spotted for example. Not stopping your progress, maybe lasting for a certain amount of time a couple of hours before expiring. 

Get out of the Lesser Antilles mate :)

Trust me, I had the same initial impression but give sailing along Puerto Rico and Hispaniola (and Cuba!) a shot. This is not small.

lol, been sailing almost the whole map now, dont think it as that big, still want slower time comp.... I think im exploring way to fast, don't like it. If there gonna be an Explorer role in this game, it's important that you don't sail the whole world in 1 session...

I have sailed almost excusivly with sail set on "Slow", only used faster sails when attacking so that the victim doesnt run away

Edited by kaboki
  • Like 1

please sail to matthew town, then to port royale and back to lower antilles. and then sail that route again. in a lynx

Been there done that:p, even using sail set to dead slow/battle(Ithink it looks more like sailing, and the distances isn't that long going in this speed, atleast for me) sails when in "map" mode. Only annoyance is, everyone else travel at lightning speed so Im kind of a sitting duck on the OW map haha, also seing those ships move about, kills the immersion for me..

If they set, current half speed to be full speed(slighly decrease the time compression), I could live with that. More "ZEN" with a slower OW map pace B) , and I get to have time going on toilet taking a dump while I sail to the next port, without going past it because of the insane speeds... I also never zoom out:p, I like that I only can see ships when on top of the waves and sometimes loose sight to the horizon, NOW give me that spyglass and flags in OW hehe

Other beneifits with having slower comression would be, that helping/getting aid in battles from allies would be harder and more dependent of the help being close enough to get in the battle instance. Right now you can get help from far away when in trouble, in short it's to easy to get aliies to aid you. Going alone in hostile waters should have a greater risk. Slowing the pace down would help in this issue...

Also it would give more time to position myself right before the battle instance start, and it could also be useful when trying to take advantage of the winds too get out of the "ring of death and destruction", right now there isn't any time to do anyhting to counter attacks without being kicked into an instance...

And YES im the AMBASSADOUR of slower of time compression, lol, I really can't help it, it's gonna annoy me until it gets a notch slower.. We dont need realtime travel, but the OW pace has to slown down even if just a little bit more than now and I would be happy.

I have been sailing now from my homeport on Virgin Islands for about 4 hours, been Island jumping south east towards the coast of south america and Im soon arriving in Trinidad. Alot of battles(approx 15) and port visits and I keep getting attacked all the time(because Im sailing at sails set too dead slow for more natural look on sailing, if everyone else had the same speed as me I could have avoided alot of battle instances I would have saved maybe 2 hours sailing. 2 hours sailing that distance I don't think is bad at all, if I was going directly to Trinidad it wouldn't even take me that long without any instances maybe the journey would have take me 1/2 an hour(wich is pretty fast in my opinion). When the Explorer role elemnet gets into the game, i really see the need for going all over the map to take longer than it currently does going in warp speed.

Seing the whole map in 5 minutes isn't my cup of tea, I REFUSE to start my warp engines lol, even if it give me huge disadvantege(ships can close in on me and attack me pretty fast before I even have the time to say, "oh shit")

Edited by kaboki
  • Like 2