Game-Labs Forum

Professions + Businesses

Hello,

I thought we might delve into professions a little, so we always have a little something on the side whilst battling it out at ships. I think each player should be limited to 2 businesses / professions, or 3 if their fleet controls an island. Also each profession should give some sort of bonus, such as the ones suggested below.

- Brothels         = +3 to crew morale

- Taverns         =   +20% to recruitment

- Tailors           =   +10% income

- Blacksmiths   =  -20% to cost of weapons + cannonballs

- Gunfounders =  -20% cost of cannons

- Shipyards      =  increase chance of finding rarer ships

- Charting        = 

- Decorators    =  -15% cost of ship exterior decorating + cabin furniture.

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

- ?

Thoughts / Suggestions?

Edited by Richard Bolitho
  • Like 1

Guest raat

This adds a arcadish gamey-ness to the game that just unnecessary.  We already have modules for ship bonuses.  Why do we need more?

Let's stop trying to find ways to make the game more unrealistic and just focus on helping them create solid gameplay for what they have and improve the game to be more immersive (though it's great already).  In my opinion, this is just cheesy and tacked on.  It doesn't add anything to the game except making life easier for you with no downside.  Sorry, but I vote no.

• Like 1

My first reaction was similar to Raatha but not as harsh. I don't really want to see a lot of stat benefits to every little thing we do. But the discussion of professions with regard to making money is valuable. Your profession may create benefits for you. If you are an iron works then it will be cheaper for you to make cannons then to buy them on an auction house. No bonus necessary. It just is.

Guest raat

Yeah, sorry if I came off too harsh.  Don't want it to sound personal or anything.  I just disagree with the idea.

I think its a good idea to have crafting stuff in game. For those crafting specialties u need materials and that give traders a job to do. Now traders can find the linnen, hemp, fur, cotton, silk or whatever a tailor needs to make clothes. or find, sulpher, salpetre, gunpowder flints iron steel or whatever a weaponsmith needs to build cannons. i like the idea. It gives more skills and creates jobs for traders.

A well-developed crafting and trade system is essential for "realism."  In the 18th century navies existed to protect and expand trade, or to disrupt that of their enemies.  The big trading companies not only had their own factories and farms, but their own armies and fleets and often fought their own wars.  I would like to see a system where every port has needs (more than just ships and cannon) that can only be met through trade. "Merchant" players could build their own trading companies, privateers could prey on them, and "navy" players protect them--something for every style of play.