Game-Labs Forum

Campaign setup sequence - quick option please! Also Modding?

kjg000

So, looking at several online early reviews the game is deffinatley interesting.

However, I would like to see a quick campaign start option, something along the lines of the DLC in Age of Sail (I think it was, one of the three campaigns anyway). This is especially important if you want better facilitate good feedback from your testers. I am sure that many players like the story mode start but I am equally sure many others are like me, we just want to get on with and enjoythe game. As EA testers are likely to be restarting a campaign often, and for many others, the story style start just becomes tedious and a barrier to enjoyment of the game.

Full disclosure, I have no intention of buying while the game is on Xaolla or while the game is in early access, I made those mistakes with Dreadnoughts. However I am intending to buying on either steam or GoG, should it become a mature game.

Also:-

What are the modding plans for this game? As can be seen from many other games, including the Ultimate General/Admiral series, tacking on modding capabilities after development is well under way generally results in an inferior product. Yet modding is an excellent way of prolonging the lifespan, and thus sales, of a game.

FYI I don't Discord

I know what you mean, twice I’ve fill out the credit card details but couldn’t click that final button.

Such is the fear of being scammed. I hate to say it but Steam is 100% trustworthy.

Did Game Labs send an email to those who assigned up for early access? No official notices here in this forum???

Edited by Skeksis

Hey Skeksis

I wouldn't describe it as a scam, but I originally bought Dreadnoughts on Xsolla and now of course, we have to play it on steam, however at least steam allows offline play. I'm also not sure Xsolla will be a firm base in the future. I understand that Valve have changed their policies which now prohibit Games Labs from offering as many Steam keys.

Overall I'm not impressed with games that I have which started out as early access. I think only one that I have tried (Sprocket) has been a fully positive experiance. I feel the feedback I gave in Dreadnoughts was a complete waste of time and effort on my part, so I'm not keen to have that experiance again.  Not that I'd expect GL to listen to what I suggest, but when many people ask for the same, or simmilar, things, we'd expect some kind of result or at least some feedback!

GL now seem to prefer Discord as their primary forum. For my part I don't want yet another app and would rather use either this forum or Steam, although the latter would require me to register a community profile on Steam.

Not sure about the emails, I don't think I registered. I do find it somewhat surreal that GL started a forum For UG:American Revolution then seem to have all but abandoned it.

13 hours ago, kjg000 said:

I'm also not sure Xsolla will be a firm base in the future

I can’t see why the two clients can’t run side by side anyway. War Thunder has its own standalone client, as do many others.

"scammed", I meant general online scams.

Edited by Skeksis

9 hours ago, kjg000 said:

So, looking at several online early reviews the game is deffinatley interesting.

However, I would like to see a quick campaign start option, something along the lines of the DLC in Age of Sail (I think it was, one of the three campaigns anyway). This is especially important if you want better facilitate good feedback from your testers. I am sure that many players like the story mode start but I am equally sure many others are like me, we just want to get on with and enjoy the game. As EA testers are likely to be restarting a campaign often, and for many others, the story style start just becomes tedious and a barrier to enjoyment of the game.

In Age of Sail, to start a new campaign, all you had to do was hit the space bar to get through the intro rapidly. So space, space, space, until you get to a decision you have to make. Have you tried that?

13 hours ago, Skeksis said:

I can’t see why the two clients can’t run side by side anyway. War Thunder has its own standalone client, as do many others.

"scammed", I meant general online scams.

Ah, yes. Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Thanks for the clarification.

12 hours ago, LAVA said:

In Age of Sail, to start a new campaign, all you had to do was hit the space bar to get through the intro rapidly. So space, space, space, until you get to a decision you have to make. Have you tried that?

Also sorry. I haven't played for a while as I find the replay value low with fixed sequential campaigns. What I found was better in the Barbbary War DLC was that the intro was shorter and you started in the 'Fleet' screen, not a battle. No I don't think I ever mashed the spacebar, I mashed the Esc button apparently whith the same result.

So I'll ammend my request, Can we get a single page 'tick and flick' / checkbox start page  option  please. Reasoning from my original post remains valid.

Also; Dev's, Have you investigated the possibility of a package containing a Steam key at an extra price? Not an ideal solution but why let 'the perfect be the enemy of the practical'? Would I buy this? Depends on the price, depends on the direction development takes ;-}

16 hours ago, Skeksis said:

I know what you mean, twice I’ve fill out the credit card details but couldn’t click that final button.

Such is the fear of being scammed. I hate to say it but Steam is 100% trustworthy.

Did Game Labs send an email to those who assigned up for early access? No official notices here in this forum???

I've just asked for a refund from Xsolla. Couldn't even download the game launcher due to some fault on their end. And when contacting Xsolla support on live chat they said to contact GL support. No help from any Dev's on discord, never seen any Dev post in the help section. The only help was by other users which was useless, so yeah I will never use Xsolla again. As you say at least Steam is 100% reliable.

16 hours ago, kjg000 said:

Hey Skeksis

I understand that Valve have changed their policies which now prohibit Games Labs from offering as many Steam keys.

Well I'm a bit sceptical about this because only a few weeks ago I bought an EA(sunkenland) on Steam that had at least 20k users

17 hours ago, bikes02 said:

Couldn't even download the game launcher

Same, after purchasing it was very hard to find the download option again.  

Game Labs should have the ‘Game Labs Client’ downloadable first, i.e. make it available to download from all of their web sites. Once downloaded, users can redeem or purchase from there.

I like the Game Labs Client, Game Labs should consider it as a permanent option. No need to worry about keys, etc.

Edited by Skeksis

What troubles me is the complete absence of any support here on the forums by the development team.

I can't for the life of me buy a game without support from the dev team, no matter how badly I would like to play the game.

Mind you, I understand that Xsolla may actually be prohibiting dev support here... who knows? And some of these folks are in Ukraine, which must make development a real bitch.

Still...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LAVA said:

What troubles me is the complete absence of any support here on the forums by the development team.

I can't for the life of me buy a game without support from the dev team, no matter how badly I would like to play the game.

Mind you, I understand that Xsolla may actually be prohibiting dev support here... who knows? And some of these folks are in Ukraine, which must make development a real bitch.

Still...

Just wait for it to be released on Steam, and because of the total lack of support from any dev either here or on discord(not one post from a dev)would I ever consider buying another EA game. And yet it seems every Youtube & Twitch streamer has no problems, maybe due to the fact they were given keys. 

Call me cynical but I also don't get how Steam have suddenly changed their rules on EA keys. I'd love to know when this actually happened, because as I already stated I bought an EA game with thousands of others only last month, and I'm pretty sure that there are not thousands who are actually playing this game right now

5 hours ago, bikes02 said:

total lack of support from any dev either here or on discord(not one post from a dev)

This is not true whatsoever. The devs have responded to several people (including myself) who have had issues and are working to resolve it. They did not however, respond directly to your issue but as it was stated, your issue had been brought to the direct attention of the devs who again are working on this issue. The patch today including additional logs so the devs can discover the root of the problem. These are edge case scenarios and the vast majority of users were able to play the game just fine. The combination of this being an edge case scenario and from the fact that the issues are related to the launcher itself rather than the game is an additional headache for the devs as they need to coordinate with Xsolla in order to solve the problem. Being unable to play the game absolutely sucks but at the same time, solutions don't just magically appear and can take time before an actual solution can be found.

Edited by WilliamTheIII

8 hours ago, LAVA said:

Still...

The devs have shifted their focus to discord instead of these forums. Doesn't have anything to do with xsolla, just limited time to interact on multiple platforms.

I'm not much of a Discord guy. Besides from my experience with Discord, it doesn't seem to me to be a very great venue for individuals to ask questions. It is an excellent place for folks to chat to each other, which is probably a great way for the Devs to interact amongst themselves.

I just drop by Grog-Heads forum where folks seem to be pretty well updated daily on what is going on with the game.