Game-Labs Forum

Penetration

JCDC

Have gun penetration values gone completely crazy, or is this just me, or is this a bug, or...It cant always have been like this right?

60 inches of belt penetration at point blank, 37.5 inches of deck penetration at 30,000m? 

This is 1920 start germany, I found the same result with 1920 france, britain, japan etc. all with capped ballistic 2 shells. The step ups are consistent across all the different shell types. Perhaps the yardstick is wrought iron or something? but I dont remember the values always being like this, I used to use them to choose my armour thickness, to create a realistic invulnerable zone. So if this is deliberate its a very odd decision, how do I translate these values into something useful? Because if these penetration values are for real steel armour, armour is pointless.

image.png

Edited by JCDC

The values in vanilla are as far I know for iron armor at 0° angle (which realistically never happens anyways)

So if you want compareable values, you'd have to take your armor strenght and multiply it by the armor quality to get useful stats.

So a 10" 50% armor would be effective 15" iron as example.

Yeah its annoying that we don't have some kind of effective armor indicator instead, but thats the current state.

Something like an armor view would be really nice (think of games like War Thunder, World of Warships or Wolrd of Tanks as example)

Edited by Astor

1 hour ago, JCDC said:

Have gun penetration values gone completely crazy, or is this just me, or is this a bug, or...It cant always have been like this right?

60 inches of belt penetration at point blank, 37.5 inches of deck penetration at 30,000m? 

This is 1920 start germany, I found the same result with 1920 france, britain, japan etc. all with capped ballistic 2 shells. The step ups are consistent across all the different shell types. Perhaps the yardstick is wrought iron or something? but I dont remember the values always being like this, I used to use them to choose my armour thickness, to create a realistic invulnerable zone. So if this is deliberate its a very odd decision, how do I translate these values into something useful? Because if these penetration values are for real steel armour, armour is pointless.

image.png

The reference in the data table is base iron armor. The quality of armor can make armor more than 2x times resistant depending on technologies. Angle of hit and other factors can make the final impact to have much less penetration than the theoretical maximum penetration shown in the data table. During battle you can press Alt while hovering on an enemy to see a closer estimation of what penetration you can achieve with your main guns.

Ok, I don't remember seeing values this high before, but maybe I just wasnt paying as much attention after the early years.

The 37.5 inches deck penetration at 30,000m still seems wrong though. Can't imagine a shell at that distance plunging having 2/3rds the penetration of a point blank shot. But since hits at that range are staggeringly unlikely I guess it doesn't matter much in gameplay.

holding Alt is a neat feature, I didnt know about that.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:44 AM, Astor said:

The values in vanilla are as far I know for iron armor at 0° angle (which realistically never happens anyways)

So if you want compareable values, you'd have to take your armor strenght and multiply it by the armor quality to get useful stats.

So a 10" 50% armor would be effective 15" iron as example.

Yeah its annoying that we don't have some kind of effective armor indicator instead, but thats the current state.

Something like an armor view would be really nice (think of games like War Thunder, World of Warships or Wolrd of Tanks as example)

Armor scales incredibly quickly once you start teching up, and it also gets significant weight reductions.  Modern II is +145% armor, as in 2.45x what the listed armor thickness is, and at half the weight.  Your main tower will weigh over twice as much as a 10" belt of Modern II if you make a US BB in 1945, and that 10" of armor will with the +17.5% boost from AoN come out to 2.625x effectiveness, or 26.25 inches of effective armor.  A 12.1" belt like on the Iowas will come out to 31.7625" effective armor.

Or in other words a same-tech 14" gun with Triple Base, TNT IV, Super Heavy, and Ballistic Capped II will need to close within 20km to pen the belt... assuming it hits flat-on and doesn't impact at an angle, which it likely will, and since the thicker caps and super heavy shells actually increase your ricochet chances you're rolling the dice on a successful pen instead of a bounce even inside your own supposed safe pen distance.  Never mind that the USN went with super-heavy shells with massive AP caps specifically for their ability to maintain effectiveness even when impacting at an angle, but oh well!

Edited by SpardaSon21