Game-Labs Forum

Non-Combat Ships - Minelayers and Minesweepers

Something that annoys me is that smaller ships not meant for combat - minelayers and minesweepers, mostly - must be designed as full combat capable ships. 

This is rather annoying when my $1,000,000 mine-laying 1890 light cruiser with a 0" main belt and just two 4" gets drawn into a fleet engagement, when it should by all logic not be drawn into the fighting.

It would be amazing if we could

a.) Designate certain ships as 'non-combat', making it less likely for them to be drawn into random encounters (this label could only be applied to destroyers and light cruisers with less than a certain amount of armor and weapons, to prevent this mechanic being abused)

b.) Create special minesweeper/minelayer hulls, between the size of torpedo boats and destroyers (i.e. between 200t and 800t displacement) which would be far less likely to get into battles but would simply lay mines. Minesweepers/layers could be attached to task forces but would likely disengage in the prebattle screen.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Agree with this idea, I would also love to have the ability to design my own transports, upgrading them during the campaign. OFC you will need to have tighter boundaries, but I would love to have some light fast transports, or design them how I want

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kommandant Flauschige said:

This is rather annoying when my $1,000,000 mine-laying 1890 light cruiser with a 0" main belt and just two 4" gets drawn into a fleet engagement, when it should by all logic not be drawn into the fighting.....

.....Designate certain ships as 'non-combat', making it less likely for them to be drawn into random encounters (this label could only be applied to destroyers and light cruisers with less than a certain amount of armor and weapons, to prevent this mechanic being abused)

Place your mine-laying ships inside the ports with the "Defend" role. Now they will only go to battle if there is a port strike.