Game-Labs Forum

Suggestions for a "Pre-Dreadnoughts Forever" mod

Bishotron

AHOY EVERYONE!

Ardent fan of the game, as well as ardent critic (which is what I imagine brings many of us to a place like this)
Found this place a few days ago after talking to friends on the Drachinfel Discord, and had to immediately join up! :3
I want to start by saying, I am not a modder, sadly I wish I was one, but such skills have never been in my grasp.

That said, I love the game, but more specifically, I love the age of the pre-dreadnoughts, when wacky designs were thick and plentiful, and battles were often close range brawls. When Battleships looked more like porcupines encrusted with guns pointing in every direction! Sadly.. the tie of the Pre-dread passes quickly.... and even with upgrades, Hulls go obsolete and fade from time...
so..... I thought.. What if we changed this?

BEHOLD! MY IDEA FOR AN ERA OF ETERNAL PRE-DREADS!!!

1: HULLS NEVER GO OBSOLETE
Simple enough, old hulls never go away, and a design from 1890 can be built "brand new" in 1940

2: NO NEW HULLS PAST DREADNOUGHT-2
Naturally to preserve the very idea of "eternal Pre-dreads" the restriction of modern classes is required. 
The Dread-1 and Dread-2 would be the "Super Cap Ship" of this mod. 
late game it can take over two years to build a 'modern battleship'. Most pre-dreads can be built in 12 months or less depending on tech.

3: NO BATTLECRUISERS PERIORD
Since BC's tend to start fairly large, and very quickly pass the size of early Dreads, their elimination would further cement the 'Eternal Pre-Dread' setting.

4: NO GUNS PAST MK-2
Once guns upgrade into Mk-3 or Mk-4, they tend to change into a 'modern' appearance.
the square boxy shapes often make them incompatible with most pre-dread mounts, especially those on French and Russian warships. 
Ideally this would be for guns from 5 inches on up, as smaller guns get the condensed 3 and 4 barrel upgrades.

5: TORP RANGES DRASTICALLY REDUCED
Clearly to prevent the AI from going hard Torp Spam, and keeping your ships destroyed by Torps from they can't even See.... Top Ranges would be deeply nerfed.

6: POSSIBLE SUPER VERSION OF PRE-DREAD SHIPS
A friend of mine who IS a modder, and loves doing silly stuff, made a couple "super" versions of some French pre-dreads.
An idea for still offering much large Hull designs for 1920, 30 and 40, would be modified hulls from the Pre-Dreads. 

screen_1920x1080_2023-04-06_21-44-46.png

screen_1920x1080_2023-04-06_18-30-32.png

screen_1920x1080_2023-04-06_21-45-01.png

image-2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, neph said:

Who hurt you?

The only hurt I've had is the cruel taunts against the glory and Sexiness of the French Tumblehomes!

A world of eternal pre-dreads will sure forth a golden age of massive wacky ship battles on a titanic scale!

• Like 5