Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.4 - for UAD v1.5.1.6

o Barão

8 hours ago, o Barão said:

Ok I will do.

And also this:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_12-40_mk3.php

Which give me the idea to use them also as BB guns Mk2 variants to better represent the historical progression about the American's gun development. 7" - 13".

That's what i was thinking, looks more historically accurate to the guns of the period, and gets good use out of the model.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

^1917 in my campaign i think?

If i had 1 more thing to gripe about before your break, its the order of main gun unlocks. We are stuck with mk2 14in for a very long time, wile gigantic 19in and 20in guns are researched before 1920 when no hull can even accept them until the 30s. After those huge guns, mk4 9-11 unlock before finally, mk3 14in.

After mk1 18in unlocks Id have it every other unlock could be a small mk4 and a mid size mk3, and no 19 and 20in guns until after 18in has reached mk2 at the earliest.

1922 in my campaign, last unlock being mk3 14in i think.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

1 hour ago, Fangoriously said:

^1917 in my campaign i think?

If i had 1 more thing to gripe about before your break, its the order of main gun unlocks. We are stuck with mk2 14in for a very long time, wile gigantic 19in and 20in guns are researched before 1920 when no hull can even accept them until the 30s. After those huge guns, mk4 9-11 unlock before finally, mk3 14in.

After mk1 18in unlocks Id have it every other unlock could be a small mk4 and a mid size mk3, and no 19 and 20in guns until after 18in has reached mk2 at the earliest.

1922 in my campaign, last unlock being mk3 14in i think.

You are playing an old save game. The guns dates were reworked in the "0.9.3 - Japanese Guns Rework S.E. partIII" 19/06/23

At the time of the update, I recommended all to delete the custom and campaign save files.

Mk 2 14" as an example goes from 1917 to 1925. So only 8 years.

The 19" Mk1 is unlocked in 1927, when the first hull able to support gigantic guns show up. The 20" Mk1 is unlocked at 1929. Of course, you can always focus on the research tech tree to get them sooner if you want, but the things you are mention does not happen in the current version.

Just now, o Barão said:

0.9.3 N.A.R. changelog:

Guns Rework Special Edition(part VIII)

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9rx5

I honestly feel bad for you and your attempts to take a break from modding...

Hensewhy, I have a suggestion: maybe there is sense to make updates for the actual game version at Fridays or Saturdays? Devs are changing versions too fast for the players to be able having a long consistent uninterrupted campaign during the week anyway.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Deadpan_Alpaca said:

Hensewhy, I have a suggestion: maybe there is sense to make updates for the actual game version at Fridays or Saturdays? Devs are changing versions too fast for the players to be able having a long consistent uninterrupted campaign during the week anyway.

The update did say that noting new is planed till 1.4 several weeks out, he might actually get a real break.

But then the players that are testing the mod and giving me the feedback I need would have to wait for the weekends to play the game. That wouldn't work. But is almost over.

The gun rework alone, was around 3500 gun positions manually edited. All guns in game were edited. Many hours spent. :(

45 minutes ago, Fangoriously said:

The update did say that noting new is planed till 1.4 several weeks out, he might actually get a real break.

And I will not update the mod to the 1.4 BETA version. Only when it reaches the live status.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 6:18 PM, o Barão said:

Ok I will do.

And also this:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_12-40_mk3.php

Which give me the idea to use them also as BB guns Mk2 variants to better represent the historical progression about the American's gun development. 7" - 13".

Also, I need to switch the Spanish capital guns. Mk2-3 for the Mk4-5.  The current Mk4-5 in N.A.R is the real gun model used in the "España-class"

uuFq3VYMipHtb40QyfNIVu6VPJkW916IXy5St_uT

This being said, there was an update today by the devs and I don't know when I will have the time to update the mod.

I hope so! 👍

What hull? What tower?

The tower is too big,no room for the second turret on the bow

0.9.3 N.A.R. changelog:

Guns Rework Special Edition(part VIII)

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.1

IMPORTANT: I am in the middle of an operation to fix the guns' penetration values. There are some guns modifiers that are ruining the data I collected. I already fixed from the 1" to 8". So if you notice a big gap between the 8" and 9", that is the reason. All guns will be fixed in the next days.

• Like 1

In my current japanese playthrough it's 1927. I unlocked the Modernized Heavy Cruiser IV and Heavy Scout Cruiser. Sadly the Main tower menu is greyed out and i can't use the hulls at all. Is it, because i fast forwarded these hulls research and haven't yet unlocked the corresponding towers?

On many bigger hulls the japanese have secondary towers that have integrated funnel spots. The problem here is, that is can only fit the two smallest funnels in there. When designing faster ships it limits you to having free standing funnels.

3 hours ago, MasterBurte said:

In my current japanese playthrough it's 1927. I unlocked the Modernized Heavy Cruiser IV and Heavy Scout Cruiser. Sadly the Main tower menu is greyed out and i can't use the hulls at all. Is it, because i fast forwarded these hulls research and haven't yet unlocked the corresponding towers?

Most likely. Those hulls are unlocked in custom battles at 1930, and they have many towers available for the player to choose.

25 minutes ago, o Barão said:

Most likely. Those hulls are unlocked in custom battles at 1930, and they have many towers available for the player to choose.

Is it possible to open up what equipment can be used on what hull so that this can't happen? The current system seems to be very restrictive. I mean if a tower fits it fits. Why shouldn't i be able to use the ones i already know on a new hull?

1 hour ago, MasterBurte said:

Is it possible to open up what equipment can be used on what hull so that this can't happen?

Yes is possible. If you like the pain or to waste hundred hours, to edit each individually hull and add more components.

Edited by o Barão

I got another suggestion for some indefinite future when your break is over (take your time as much as you wish, BTW):

Maybe there is sense to change Scout cruiser hull to be available even after Modern cruiser tech is unlocked? While I understand removal of more obsolete CL designs by this tech, IMHO, scouts are quite competitive in their niche of cheap lightweight cruiser and the general architecture of the hull doesn't look out of it's time for Interbellum/WW2. Ofc, some nations have that niche covered but Russia/USSR has nothing other than "modern CL".

Edited by Deadpan_Alpaca

18 hours ago, Deadpan_Alpaca said:

I got another suggestion for some indefinite future when your break is over (take your time as much as you wish, BTW):

Maybe there is sense to change Scout cruiser hull to be available even after Modern cruiser tech is unlocked? While I understand removal of more obsolete CL designs by this tech, IMHO, scouts are quite competitive in their niche of cheap lightweight cruiser and the general architecture of the hull doesn't look out of it's time for Interbellum/WW2. Ofc, some nations have that niche covered but Russia/USSR has nothing other than "modern CL".

The USA could really use a Modern Light Cruiser II around the late 30's to represent our CA-styled hulls.

Edited by SpardaSon21
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SpardaSon21 said:

The USA could really use a Modern Light Cruiser II around the late 30's to represent our CA-styled hulls.

I'd say, post-WW1 Russian light cruisers of "modern" design could borrow some of Italian light hulls in addition to the current singular one: after all, in real history USSR took a lot of inspiration in the Italian designs and bought some projects to use as a starting point for own designs. 

While in long campaign of UAD there may be no revolution (I tried a controllable one and didn't enjoy what ruling communist party did to my naval budget), this exactly is kind of reason why limiting Russia to a single Kirov-type CL hull is a bit unfair. 

0.9.4 N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.2
  • Added Northampton and Portland class cruiser. American Heavy cruiser II hull (1927).

2pe0FjO.jpg

wInTArn.jpg

7 hours ago, Deadpan_Alpaca said:

I'd say, post-WW1 Russian light cruisers of "modern" design could borrow some of Italian light hulls in addition to the current singular one: after all, in real history USSR took a lot of inspiration in the Italian designs and bought some projects to use as a starting point for own designs. 

While in long campaign of UAD there may be no revolution (I tried a controllable one and didn't enjoy what ruling communist party did to my naval budget), this exactly is kind of reason why limiting Russia to a single Kirov-type CL hull is a bit unfair. 

I already have a few ideas for the Russian cruisers. But first I want to see what are the ships and components that will be added in the 1.4 update.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, o Barão said:

0.9.4 N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.2
  • Added Northampton and Portland class cruiser. American Heavy cruiser II hull (1927).

2pe0FjO.jpg

wInTArn.jpg

I already have a few ideas for the Russian cruisers. But first I want to see what are the ships and components that will be added in the 1.4 update.

Cool hull for a cruiser! ya not long ago i supposedly unlocked a heavy cruiser 2 in my campaign and nothing was added, very timely addition for me!

just unlocked the fast scout cruiser too, the new hull and parts from 1.3, and trying to build something with mk5 6/7in guns is awful, that turret model has the worst firing arcs of any gun model in the game, seems to be because the barrels are so wide and far apart, if you stick a single barrel version on a mount and the firing arc is ok. Don't suppose there's any way to adjust such a thing in the data? Apply the single barrel collision box to the dual and triple? Or are those collision dimensions based purely on the model? I'm holding off refiting my current light cruisers due to how awful the fireing arcs will be on the mk5 guns, they might not even fit were the mk4s are placed at all.

if nothing can be done about the mk5 model, I still think those russian secondarys sized up to about the same size as the mk4 guns would look both somewhat historical and much more user friendly. Or just use the capital ship 7,8in model for cruiser 6-9in

1 hour ago, Fangoriously said:

just unlocked the fast scout cruiser too, the new hull and parts from 1.3, and trying to build something with mk5 6/7in guns is awful, that turret model has the worst firing arcs of any gun model in the game, seems to be because the barrels are so wide and far apart, if you stick a single barrel version on a mount and the firing arc is ok. Don't suppose there's any way to adjust such a thing in the data? Apply the single barrel collision box to the dual and triple? Or are those collision dimensions based purely on the model? I'm holding off refiting my current light cruisers due to how awful the fireing arcs will be on the mk5 guns, they might not even fit were the mk4s are placed at all.

if nothing can be done about the mk5 model, I still think those russian secondarys sized up to about the same size as the mk4 guns would look both somewhat historical and much more user friendly. Or just use the capital ship 7,8in model for cruiser 6-9in

That is the Atlanta hull. That superstructure was never designed to support guns bigger than 5". That is the issue. And I am not interested in ruining the tower scale (already too big) or the guns size just to make them work in an unrealistic component. What I can do, is add a new tower component, to free the space for the player to add a barbette. So you can have 3x 5" in superfiring position, or 2x 6" / 7" in superfiring position using barbettes. 

mgC4CnG.jpg

Edited by o Barão

2 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

You should use it as an upsized destroyer leader, so convoy raider and screening/ASW ship.  Can't sweep since its a CL, but by then you should have some decent DD designs for that job.

@o BarãoWhile I won't say no to a new hull or parts, I was mostly referring to the Brooklyn/Cleveland/Fargo series, and then potentially a super-CL akin to the Worcester.

Edited by SpardaSon21