Game-Labs Forum

Normalize Resistance Values

vyprestrike

At the moment, resistance values can get hyperinflated to the point of insanity, especially on super battleships. I don't have a problem with the concept of resistance as a whole, just that it's vastly more effective on certain hulls than on others.

It makes no sense to me that a 100k ton Super Battleship hull for one nation with the same techs as a 100k ton Super Battleship hull for another can take orders of magnitude less damage from the same shell. 

I distinctly remember fighting a Russian Super BB with 20 inch SAP shells and seeing my all of my full pens deal less than 100 damage. Less than 100 damage! With the highest damage AP shell in the game! Meanwhile, other hulls, British ones especially I've noticed, take well over 1000 damage from the same full pen from the same shell. These ships are within a few thousand tons of each other in displacement and have similar resistance increasing modules; there's no reason that one ship should be taking an order of magnitude less damage.

Each ship class (DD, CL, CA, BC, BB, maybe split further into super if needed) should have a base resistance common across all nations. Then, each nation can have a small modifier to resistance, say 5% at most. Right now fully kitted out Super BB hulls go anywhere from a shell damage reduction in the high 50%s to the high 90%s. Instead, they should all hover somewhere in the middle, say around 70% with a few percent on either side depending on nation.

This isn't just a custom battles issue. Now that Austria-Hungary exists in the campaign, the potential for making an unkillable battleship that rolls over the entire campaign while taking negligeable damage from everything is potentially game breaking. Once Russia is added in, its Super BB hull will do the same, allowing you to rush a single ship that will then steamroll entire fleets without opposition since it takes literally single digit damage from the vast majority of weapons in the game.

So please devs, if you care at all about having a balanced game, normalize resistance values across the board. It's not like this is a massive overhaul of a game system, all I'm asking is tweaking the base resistance values for the hulls in the game to be more in line with each other which I'd assume is as easy as changing some numbers in a hull list somewhere in the game's code.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 2:57 PM, PhoenixLP44 said:

Aren't SAP shells Semi Armour Piercing shells? Try switching to 20 inch Capped balistics II Super Heavy shells and you can almost overpen those russian BB's.

It's not the penetration that's the issue. If you read the post you'd realize I'm comparing full penetrations here. CB2 would be even worse since it does much less damage than SAP. My issue is that these Russian ships take far too little damage when they get penned, not that they're hard to pen. If a 20 inch SAP shell deals less than a hundred damage on a full pen, a CB2 shell will deal single digit damage.

On 5/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, vyprestrike said:

It's not the penetration that's the issue. If you read the post you'd realize I'm comparing full penetrations here. CB2 would be even worse since it does much less damage than SAP. My issue is that these Russian ships take far too little damage when they get penned, not that they're hard to pen. If a 20 inch SAP shell deals less than a hundred damage on a full pen, a CB2 shell will deal single digit damage.

CBII shells also have a greatly increased ricochet chance because... reasons, so you're also less likely to pen or partial pen in any circumstance besides firing directly at their citadel.

Edited by SpardaSon21

• 3 months later...

Bump. I've been wondering why this exists and nobody talks about it, it makes late german BB's super OP and AH's too I suppose, not to mention Russia. I agree that the stat itself isn't the problem but the scaling. Resistance scales %-damage linearly from +40% to -100% damage taken with a factor of around ~0,8 so once you get closer to 170 Resistance you take exponentially less damage, so the difference between even the 105 res hulls and the 109 is huge, while 90 and below the stat seems comparatively irrelevant. Furthermore all the component modifiers boost resistance by a percentage not additvely, making the return on investment even more lopsided towards high resistance base hulls. The quick fix would be to indeed normalize the stat across nations and/or tone it down two notches so you can't get past 65% or something. But i also think linear damage reduction scaling is a really oversimplified and lazy concept, especially in a game with somewhat of a simulation approach.