Game-Labs Forum

Campaign design suggestion from PinkyDK

PinkyDK

I saw somewhere a request for how to build a campaign and I thought I'd try my best to come up with one suggestion.
I searched for the correct place for the post - but hopefully a moderator will move it if necesary.

• I would like the option to run a single semi-historical campaign spanning through the time periods of the game.
    I know other people want more options/freedom but I think it's a choice and the campaign need to be structured accordingly and so I hope my suggestion makes sense for what I would like to see.

• I suggest the campaign will be built after a master semi-historical timeline with historical navy conflicts fitting the timelines of the game.
    The suggestion limits a players sandbox, but makes it easier to balance and secure the player experience while still having the option to be rather flexible.
    This is a very good way to make sure a campaign will be able to follow a somewhat accurate picture of history, but at the same time prevents a lot of random or chaotic campaigns some other players might like. If necesary it's possible to script necesary peace deals or conflicts when historical situations are difficult to find.

• The player should select 1 player nation from a handfull of great naval nations - some of them perhaps limited in their starting period if necesary.
    Minor nations will play a part but not as a main nation.

• To narrate the experience I find it usefull for you as an admiral to not be the commander of your nation but a subject of a government, but also an important advisor allowing you to take some decissions, but also be forced along the timeline for participation in further conflict.

• The player will start in the timeline he/she decides and as time progress will either be involved in conflict with his own nation - or as an "advisor" on behalf of other major or minor nations. This makes sure that no matter your choice of nation you will be able to participate. Basically splitting the campaign up into several small mini campaigns linked together.
    As an example starting as germany you could fight your own wars in the proper timelines and at other times you could "Supervise" and play as minor nations or other major nations.
    Perhaps even be able to supervise in 3 different levels: a) entire command basically taking over as it was your own nation (but returning to your own nation later) b) Help designing ships - perhaps using tech from both nations but not playing the battles c) Just give them tech and money (maybe earn some foreign ship designs) but let them handle themselves

This means France should be able to play even in the part of time where they are occupied or in peace either from foreign ports or supervising some or part of the british, us or chinese fleet. And in the times of european peace participate in conflict in other parts of the world...

• This also - depending on the conflicts in which you are an advisor - could give you faster research in some areas, better own economy and the ability to build some ship hulls from other nations? Would also be cool to play as England but advising either Russia or Japan in that conflict and both being able to build your own designs and bring home some of the foreign designs when moving on...
    Maybe some nations should have more options for who to support and others be restricted.

Apart from this raw sketch I have a few issues witht eh current mini campaign:

• Its over way too fast
  • To get more variation perhaps the enemy AI should develope more than 1 design for each shiptype at a time.
  • The transport slider makes very little sense
  • Torpedos are king in the early campaign timeline - You can build a lot of torpedo boats and even though you get blockaded without bigger ships you will turn around pretty fast.
    I would advise looking into either shorter range (600m), duds and/or make the torpedoes more inaccurate...
  • The map and port system I think is pretty cool.
  • Ships should be organised into fleets/armadas - ships not in fleets should be in a reserve pool.
  • Fleets/armadas should have a restricted tonnage or number decided by the admiralty or nation leadership which could be modified during the game
  • Ships should be sailed to and operate from a port
  • You need to have better control of your fleets behavior like being able to set allowed range from port, behavior and tasks like Coastal patrol, Coastal defense, Convoy guard, Raiding, Combat patrol, Harbor/fleet assault. Maybe even have a fleet operate in a specific area.
  • More than 1 fleet could engage at a time, but if you have a fleet with plenty screening ships it should be difficult to catch that battleship alone.

You should look into the balance when talking ships and economy. Players should not spam large ships (perhaps from restrictions made by his national leadership?) - at the same time its also important that a player is not always able to sink large enemy ships at will but maybe thats an AI problem?

PinkyDK