Game-Labs Forum

Ships do not sail in direction told, ships need fire weapons button

I am having a really hard time having fun with this game when the ships just turn around and sail in the other direction that they are being told to sail in and when there is no fire button. I am sick of having torpedo shots lined up and continually hitting 8 then 4 for aggressive fire only to have the ship not fire. Yes I see that everything is loaded. The premise of this game is that I am the person in charge of commanding these boats yet the boats do not follow orders. If I tell a ship to sail in a certain direction and it does not then I am not the one in command and I leave the battle. I want the ships to follow my orders. I want to have a button to press that actually fires the weapon I want to fire. Otherwise there is no point in playing this game.

3 hours ago, thisgameisretarded said:

I am having a really hard time having fun with this game when the ships just turn around and sail in the other direction that they are being told to sail in and when there is no fire button. I am sick of having torpedo shots lined up and continually hitting 8 then 4 for aggressive fire only to have the ship not fire. Yes I see that everything is loaded. The premise of this game is that I am the person in charge of commanding these boats yet the boats do not follow orders. If I tell a ship to sail in a certain direction and it does not then I am not the one in command and I leave the battle. I want the ships to follow my orders. I want to have a button to press that actually fires the weapon I want to fire. Otherwise there is no point in playing this game.

1. There is a bug with ships stalling out at times when in a certain proximity to other vessels given their respective courses. It has to do with evasion logic and is especially bad where formations are involved. This is being fixed as we speak.

2. If a ship is turning around in a formation, it's likely because it took damage to the engines and/or rudder and is thus dropping out of and back in the formation so as to yield the lead to the next ship in line.

3. I would highly doubt there will ever be a manual fire, "broadside" button or anything like that. It would be ridiculous given the number of cannons of board and clutter up the UI. Maybe someday they will consider something for torpedoes but I wouldn't count on it.

4. If you truly have that much trouble with torpedoes, check: your range, bearing, and speed. Early torpedoes have a very short range, and even on aggressive firing, might not be launched if the target is turning too much and thus you're at a terrible angle

Edited by Littorio
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thisgameisretarded said:

Full broadside against another ship and my TB consistently miss from under 100m. Every time that happens, missing easy shots like that, I rage quit out. I can't handle this kind of frustration. This isnt fun. And with the campaign. Let it start later on. I dont want to hello kitty around with 1800s boats.

If that is how you feel then I suggest you delete the game and never come back. This isn't for you. The game starts in the 1890s, period. You may say hitting moving targets with many guns of different calibers in potentially rough seas, with wind and bad weather, possibly with a crew of raw cadets, that also happens to be shooting back at you, is "easy," but that's not true. Sounds like you need to go play World of Warships or enjoy some War Thunder naval combat :)

I am just failing to understand why there can't be a fire torpedos button. So many times I sail broadside against any enemy ship, setting is on aggressive and nothing happens. If I can control direction(rudder) and velocity then why can't I control firing? Imagine call of duty but you dont get to fire, you just hope your guy fires when you have a shot. What I am asking for isn't some magical thing. Simply being able to fire torpedos when the shot is perfect isn't difficult. Waiting on some AI to fire them isn't a good idea. Already played WOWS and WTNC. The campaign aspect and build your own boat is why I am here.

One of the problems with torps, as far as I can tell, is that the launchers are not aimed at the target while you have them set to "don't launch your fish". This means, they are usually pointing forward or aft. Then you get in position and allow them to fire their torps, so now they start to rotate to aim at the target and if you are very close (as required in the 1890 and 1900 campaign), you have often left the good position before the launchers are pointed correctly - sometimes the target is completely outside the launcher's arc.

Of course, this is ridiculous. The launchers should _always_ point at the selected target, just waiting for you to give the command to fire.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The_Real_Hawkeye said:

One of the problems with torps, as far as I can tell, is that the launchers are not aimed at the target while you have them set to "don't launch your fish". This means, they are usually pointing forward or aft. Then you get in position and allow them to fire their torps, so now they start to rotate to aim at the target and if you are very close (as required in the 1890 and 1900 campaign), you have often left the good position before the launchers are pointed correctly - sometimes the target is completely outside the launcher's arc.

Of course, this is ridiculous. The launchers should _always_ point at the selected target, just waiting for you to give the command to fire.

Agreed, they need a simple QoL adjustment for keeping weapons aimed, but holding fire when toggled. This would not only help situations where you want more accurate fire, but prevent friendly fire due to overshooting or allies crossing your lines of fire.

Edited by Littorio
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having played World of Warships, that game was never that great and is quickly heading down the toilet with power creep and premium to win ships.  Carriers are almost universally despised.  Now they're adding fantasy submarines that outperform modern, present day submarines. 

War Thunder isn't that lopsided, yet, but the game design and maps are incredibly bad and every update you get some fun new bug to deal with.