Game-Labs Forum

Catapult floatplanes for ships?

ReefKip

Many people wanna see airplanes in the game and i think the best way to implement them first is by adding the technology to add floatplanes to ships. The advantages a floatplane would give you are better accuracy at longer range and ofcourse great scouting potential. Floatplanes could historically also carry weapons like bombs or torpedoes but attacking other ships is not their primary use and should be more of a last resort. 

The addition of floatplanes will open up a lot of technological possibilities with them and will also justify the addition of AA guns to ships in the game,so that i can finally fill up my empty deckspace with AA guns.

If the floatplanes end up working great and are balanced, the devs can use that information and experience to branch out to CV's and start adding them to the game at a later phase.

Thoughts?

Out of curiosity, what use do you see floatplanes being at the moment? Sure, it might give you reports that XX ship is on Y heading over here... but being able to see smoke and RDF already gives you that information.

I'm not entirely opposed to your suggestion, though. If the devs want to implement airplanes and CVs as an option later on, this does make sense. It's just that the opposite is also equally true. If the devs do not want to implement airplanes and CVs as an option (they certainly might want to make a DLC or even a sequal, ala RTW2), adding floatplanes adds very little utility right now.

In fact, I very much doubt I'd even bother shooting a scouting floatplane down. It'd bait the enemy ships to approaching me and so is a benefit rather than hindrance.

Edited by AurumCorvus

well personally I think you could give float planes campaign map bonuses and not just reduce them to the tactical battles.

meaning that ships with them have better chance of finding missions.

And between "the ship is somewhat east west" and the ship is right there, I do see a big difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AurumCorvus said:

Out of curiosity, what use do you see floatplanes being at the moment? Sure, it might give you reports that XX ship is on Y heading over here... but being able to see smoke and RDF already gives you that information.

I'm not entirely opposed to your suggestion, though. If the devs want to implement airplanes and CVs as an option later on, this does make sense. It's just that the opposite is also equally true. If the devs do not want to implement airplanes and CVs as an option (they certainly might want to make a DLC or even a sequal, ala RTW2), adding floatplanes adds very little utility right now.

In fact, I very much doubt I'd even bother shooting a scouting floatplane down. It'd bait the enemy ships to approaching me and so is a benefit rather than hindrance.

CVs should not be considered for a LONG time. That is absolutely a last step for this game, like, something to do finished before the game is completely done. This is about battleships, period. Carriers have a million other games about them, and I for one don't mind not dealing with airpower for awhile. There are too many other things that need fixing/creating before we even think about carriers.

Also, the current "smoke sighted" system is garbage and floatplanes could give you a precise location or at least a definite bearing, as opposed to one of eight very vague compass points...

1 hour ago, SiWi said:

well personally I think you could give float planes campaign map bonuses and not just reduce them to the tactical battles.

meaning that ships with them have better chance of finding missions.

And between "the ship is somewhat east west" and the ship is right there, I do see a big difference.

Campaign bonuses would be nice.

2 hours ago, AurumCorvus said:

I am suggesting they are added later down the line after the biggest issues in the game are fixed. not at the moment. 

If the devs want to add CV. first adding floatplanes to BB's and cruisers is a good stepping stone for that.

If not . then floatplanes could still be added but purely for spotting purposes and accuracy bonuses for the ships that are within radio range.of what the floatplane spots. simulating the increase in fire control accuracy thanks to the floatplane giving details through the radio.

54 minutes ago, Littorio said:

CVs should not be considered for a LONG time. That is absolutely a last step for this game, like, something to do finished before the game is completely done. This is about battleships, period. Carriers have a million other games about them, and I for one don't mind not dealing with airpower for awhile. There are too many other things that need fixing/creating before we even think about carriers.

Totally agree with you. Maybe even as a potential DLC for after the main game is done.

I do want to see them in the game eventually. would be cool to build your own carriers and screw around with some hybrid battleships designs. Like the Ise class BB's in the IJN. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ReefKip said:

Totally agree with you. Maybe even as a potential DLC for after the main game is done.

I do want to see them in the game eventually. would be cool to build your own carriers and screw around with some hybrid battleships designs. Like the Ise class BB's in the IJN. 

Lol DLC...true. That's actually something that deserves a DLC, like the old meaning of the word, an expansion. It would expand a game about battleships to include carriers. I like it. That way, if someone doesn't want all that messy air content ruining their nice, perfectly balanced battle lines, they simply don't need to buy the DLC.

you two are in dangerous waters... from my experience on this forum I can tell you that alot of people don't want CV under any circumstances.

If that means they will have bent reality to have "arguments" they will do it.

Personally i think it could be a great addition and give lower caliber weapons more meaning (keyword: dual purpose).

Historically we see the first CV (or float carriers) in WW1.

Hell if the Devs would want it, they even could do "balloon carriers".

24 minutes ago, SiWi said:

you two are in dangerous waters... from my experience on this forum I can tell you that alot of people don't want CV under any circumstances.

If that means they will have bent reality to have "arguments" they will do it.

Personally i think it could be a great addition and give lower caliber weapons more meaning (keyword: dual purpose).

Historically we see the first CV (or float carriers) in WW1.

Hell if the Devs would want it, they even could do "balloon carriers".

if the devs add the option to Enable/Disable them as a buildable class before you start a campaign, then everybody is happy.And the ones who are not will show themselves as being very irrational people that wanna tell others how to enjoy and play the game. sadly there are a lot of those types on every forum that think their way of enjoying the game is the best way.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ReefKip said:

if the devs add the option to Enable/Disable them as a buildable class before you start a campaign, then everybody is happy.And the ones who are not will show themselves as being very irrational people that wanna tell others how to enjoy and play the game. sadly there are a lot of those types on every forum that think their way of enjoying the game is the best way.

Toggles are always good. As long as this is a late project/DLC kind of thing. I don't want any time or resources from the main game going to this anytime soon.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Littorio said:

Toggles are always good. As long as this is a late project/DLC kind of thing. I don't want any time or resources from the main game going to this anytime soon.

Ofcourse. in no way should resources be taken away from the main stars of the game, the dreadnoughts and the other classes. for CV development. atleast not until all the other classes have been properly fleshed out.