Game-Labs Forum

Barrel of Fun (and High Explosives)

Worry_Rock

In about 1911 American ship designers started on a project that would never be completed, at least how they envisioned them. These vessels are now known as the Lexington-class, a class of six Battlecruisers mounting 14 and 16in guns in a variety of layouts with the armor equivalent of wet toilet paper. Whilst never completed two ships of the class, Lexington and Saratoga, go on to become the largest American aircraft carriers up until the Midway-class. So, I set out to make them (or something like them) and test them against an equal Japanese Fleet.

Screenshot (58).png

Edited by Worry_Rock
This was originally something else but the screenshots were to large
  • Thanks 1

So, My fleet consisted of three Lexington-class ships, two heavy cruisers and a light cruiser, the opposing fleet was exactly the same but Japanese. I also set the year to 1920, as I could use the cage mast that I was really wanting to use.

Edited by Worry_Rock

I decided to keep back my Lexington's as they had very light armor, but sent forward my Cruisers to cause some damage with torpedoes then withdraw. What ended up happening was the one of my CA's and the CL sunk, but in exchange I scored a ton of torpedo hits, and sunk their CL.

Edited by Worry_Rock

Lexington BCs dying quickly is actually quite realistic.

Even the Kongou, which were poorly enough protected that Hiei ended up being shot to pieces by cruisers - the very class BCs are supposed to hunt -  had better protection than the Lexingtons were planned to have.

And whether ships die to quickly is a matter of the ship and the dice roll. I recently had a battleship eat more than 200 18" shells and over a thousand secondary battery hits (mix of 8" and 5" ) before finally going down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:50 AM, Norbert Sattler said:

I'll drink to that!

even in a post-Jutland world they even considered giving a BC 5-7in is like smoking at a gas pump, and considering they all detonated I can say that dying is the only thing these can do. But I will admit 33 knots is impressive for anything larger than a CL, but besides that they were basically useless. next time I'll make a German BC, something better protected.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:50 AM, Norbert Sattler said:

Even the Kongou, which were poorly enough protected that Hiei ended up being shot to pieces by cruisers - the very class BCs are supposed to hunt -  had better protection than the Lexingtons were planned to have.

And whether ships die to quickly is a matter of the ship and the dice roll. I recently had a battleship eat more than 200 18" shells and over a thousand secondary battery hits (mix of 8" and 5" ) before finally going down.

It also depends on counter flooding, (I try to change sides/port/starboard) and hits in RED areas.