Game-Labs Forum

US Super Battleship (v74)

Shaftoe

According to my experience, this mission begs for plunging fire solution. But I am not talking about v74, I finished it earlier, so things might have changed.

To go bow in and destroy them quickly from shorter range is possible, but not likely. Reason A - destroyers. Their torpedo spreads are deadly. Reason B - zombification. You damage a ship, she starts to run away and you keep on hitting her already destroyed stern. And then you run out of ammo. Also your ship may had been damaged too so you can be even slower than the escaping enemy.

But imagine this: you stay at around 30km and I presume your ship is armed with 17 or 18 inch guns, not less. With top technology, what accuracy do you have? 5-8%? Thats enough. Load HE (Lydite is not necessary, I was using some kind of TNT). You will pen decks no problem and doing a lot of damage. And they start to run away. But you stay at distance and continue hitting them from above. So no zombification from hitting them to the same spot over and over again. And DDs? When I was playing this mission, they always stayed with their capital ships, they never engaged me if I stayed so far away.

There is a question of them firing back and doing plunging fire damage to you as well. But as I recall correctly, the four original ships were never armed with guns larger than 16 inch. So at distance, the accuracy difference between your 18 and their 16 can be substantial. The Super Yamato is armed with 17 or 18 inchers, you must deal with it.

One more thing: Ammo count. I have a number of unsuccessful attempts with as small superbattleship as possible - with only three turrets. Which gives you around 800 shells. The results were always close and the same. All enemy ships heavilly damaged, all in range, just waiting for the the final blow to be delivered. And then I ran out of ammo. Always go with 4 turrets (double or tripple doesn't matter).

On 6/13/2020 at 10:30 AM, Hangar18 said:

still think we have a bit of a zombie ship issue. You can pound ships into the dirt all you want. dozens upon dozens of even 18" shells can be ineffective to ship that are already on deaths door.

I’ve had that. Sunk two enemy battleships then got the last to 1% structure but despite many more hits I couldn’t get it to go down.

I had earlier lost any ability to steer from a torpedo hit and finally got sunk by more swarms of torpedo volleys.

close but no cigar.

Another crack at this scenario  timed out, again with me having destroyed steering with all the enemy eventually vanishing in the mist and me having no ability to turn to find them. I think I had killed two battleships by then.

The game did helpfully keep telling me where their smoke was in my wake. 🙃

It is an intriguing scenario though and I’m determined to beat it.

My latest design theory is ...... for telling if I get it to work.

Edited by HMNZS Achilles

I followed the advice given by Nick Thomadis  and it was working on the first try, then i had to pause and exited by accident LOL. So tried it again with the same ship design and beat it yesterday

I have had the zombie ship issue in the past with other missions, but with this mission i did not have it. The range i believe is key, as i read in some previous posts you want the plunging fire to go through the deck and hit internally, i had alot of hits overpenning and actually switched to HE  for a few salvos to see if i could get some crazy explosion (sadly did not happen)

there were a couple of little changes like secondaries at 5" and my speed a little lower to upgrade some of the protection to the barbettes etc. Most of the time i tried to keep the range at about 27km and i noticed the enemy could not fire at me, at one point i did get within 23 or 24km and i was getting hit although not too much damage. At 27km the enemy ships would be out of range for visual so i had to make sure my DD were in between my BB and the enemy, this i believe also kept the enemy DD posted close to the enemy BB and not coming after me. They did launch torps but i wasnt sure if it was aimed at my dd or my bb either way it wasn't close enough to get hit by the super spread. I hope this helps others in tackling this mission, i would post a screen shot of my set up but nothing i am doing seems to paste it in here. if you would like to see it please let me know how to post screen shots lol