Game-Labs Forum

Submarine design

Aceituna

I read the paragraph about submarines on the blog but this wasn't mentioned there so id like to ask here: How will the submarine design look like in the campaing? Is it going to be same like with the surface vessels (placing torpedo tubes tower etc.) or will we just unlock certain historical subs in the technology tree?

And one more question: From which technology will be subs implemented? I mean Spain already had a electric sub in the year when campaing starts. So will be those archaic subs there? Or will they be available since karosene-electric or even diesel-electric subs?

I'm sorry if this was already mentioned on the forum and also for my English.

• Like 1

I would very much like it though if we can design submarines in the ship designer. Even if we will never be able to use them in fleet combat, being able to determine the specifications would be great. Things like, number of torpedo tubes, support gun caliber, maximum depth, speed, battery life could still impact the effectiveness in the campaign, even if only abstracted.

Edited by Tycondero
  • Like 1

Keep in mind early submarines usually attacked while surfaced. Since there are already commerce raiding missions for ships, it wouldnt be that difficult to model WW1 submarine combat in real time.  In actual battle submarines would be very hard to hit but very slow. You can already design very slow ships in UA:D in which require the player to give himself superior positioning

Also bow and stern mounted torps are already modeled, so this could readily be incorporated into submarine hulls in the game. 

In campaign, I see no reason why the player shouldn't command a submarine tactically if he chooses to. He can position himself in the strategic map near a probable enemy ship squadron/convoy, go to tactical combat, fast forward time given the slow speed, position himself, try to ambush. If successful, try to escape, if outrun, go back to strategic map and try again with another enemy. 

Of course given the complexity of modelling ASW weapons and diving depth, this should be low priority, but given the current mechanics in the game, I think its possible to implement subs more easily than carriers or anti-ship missiles. 

Edited by Druzki

14 minutes ago, Druzki said:

Keep in mind early submarines usually attacked while surfaced. Since there are already commerce raiding missions for ships, it wouldnt be that difficult to model WW1 submarine combat in real time.  In actual battle submarines would be very hard to hit but very slow. You can already design very slow ships in UA:D in which require the player to give himself superior positioning

Also bow and stern mounted torps are already modeled, so this could readily be incorporated into submarine hulls in the game. 

In campaign, I see no reason why the player shouldn't command a submarine tactically if he chooses to. He can position himself in the strategic map near a probable enemy ship squadron/convoy, go to tactical combat, fast forward time given the slow speed, position himself, try to ambush. If successful, try to escape, if outrun, go back to strategic map and try again with another enemy. 

Of course given the complexity of modelling ASW weapons and diving depth, this should be low priority, but given the current mechanics in the game, I think its possible to implement subs more easily than carriers or anti-ship missiles. 

I agree that it would be nice to control subs In actual battles but I have to disagree with your statement that it would be easy to implement. Yes submarines themselves might be easy to implement but devs would also have to implement depth charges and also somehow solve sub visibility under water because of sonar.

And most importantly devs already stated that subs will be only at the strategic map so I think that we can't expect that we will ever have them in battles.