Game-Labs Forum

The fictional HMS Thunderchild

Shaftoe

While Ironclads we've got are pretty epic, this short 1st April video caught my attention. The famous fictional cruiser HMS Thunderchild from H. G. Wells's "War of the worlds". So, I wonder, perhaps next April fools update would allow us to build this fantastic ship? Lol.

image.thumb.png.b49b47c1928e0520b20c1be52c81d711.png

Edited by Shaftoe
  • Like 4

In Drachinifels Video the HMS Thunderchild was laid down in 1895 so we might be able to build her in the future

EDIT: I tested it and there is currently no way to create HMS Thunderchild accurately the armament Layout works very well.

Edited by Tybor56
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tybor56 said:

I tested it and there is currently no way to create HMS Thunderchild accurately the armament Layout works very well.

Yeah the way towers are set up at the moment really don't allow for anything close to this, plus making that superstructure is more or less impossible since it's more or less all the way towards the back.
I really do hope the devs can focus on other things like more modular hull customization once the game is closer to release or maybe a bit after.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Tybor56 said:

EDIT: I tested it and there is currently no way to create HMS Thunderchild accurately the armament Layout works very well.

Of course there isn't a way to build her accurately at the moment. This is what the opening post is all about. I think the necessary tool kit for its creation would be an awesome addition to the game on the next 1st April, and it may be kept as a Special Naval Academy scenario long afterwards. 

35 minutes ago, Shaftoe said:

Of course there isn't a way to build her accurately at the moment. This is what the opening post is all about. I think the necessary tool kit for its creation would be an awesome addition to the game on the next 1st April, and it may be kept as a Special Naval Academy scenario long afterwards. 

Could have mini dlc's featuring new and unusual ships, to build in custom battles and naval academy missions.

Eventually we could have an option to feature these things in.

1 hour ago, Cptbarney said:

Could have mini dlc's featuring new and unusual ships, to build in custom battles and naval academy missions.

DLC adding in additional parts would be ok but I personally think that parts (hulls, towers, etc) should not be specially designed to pull off unique designs as seen in the Op. We should be able to do that with any part already given. However, that's the problem. The ship builder doesn't support building ships like these in the first place. The builder is to ridged and should be made to allow for creative designs such as seen in the Op and no I do not agree with any argument of "it was done this way" or "They never did that". I say let us do what we want and apply the appropriate penalties for stupid choices.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, the Devs haven't publicly stated a goal in terms of builder freedom. So all we can do is speculate and hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cptbarney said:

I'd rather not have DLCs be the first thing that comes to mind when adding new content. Of course the devs need to make money somehow, but going down the paradox line of "only adding new features in 20 dollar DLC packs" isn't the way the game should go and is a slippery slope I'd wish to avoid.

Again, getting a robust customization system started after the game's release should be what allows for this, not piles and piles of new ship hulls for 5 dollars each.

6 minutes ago, Purgato said:

I'd rather not have DLCs be the first thing that comes to mind when adding new content. Of course the devs need to make money somehow, but going down the paradox line of "only adding new features in 20 dollar DLC packs" isn't the way the game should go and is a slippery slope I'd wish to avoid.

Again, getting a robust customization system started after the game's release should be what allows for this, not piles and piles of new ship hulls for 5 dollars each.

Depends on what this game will be like in terms of money making. Age of sail seems to have no dlc atm, but that could change. Naval action has a lot but im guessing due to huge amounts of issues and problems it got a bad rep early on and never recovered.

The modular system will be in if they think its worth the time and effort and if they can solve any problems associated with it, either way that should be done before release not after to solve any major (and there will be) problems with the mechanic itself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Depends on what this game will be like in terms of money making. Age of sail seems to have no dlc atm, but that could change. Naval action has a lot but im guessing due to huge amounts of issues and problems it got a bad rep early on and never recovered.

The modular system will be in if they think its worth the time and effort and if they can solve any problems associated with it, either way that should be done before release not after to solve any major (and there will be) problems with the mechanic itself.

I have to agree but the reason I've said after release is that I'm nearly positive the devs themselves said that. It would seem silly to implement it after adding... actually I'm not sure on the number of hulls, now but I'll assume it's over 50 at this point. Because every hull they end up adding will make the ability to make everything modular for them that much harder, or at least more time consuming.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm optimistic they'll keep their promise of modular hulls after launch, but it would make way more sense to fix it up before it as you said. And I think DLC hulls might make that problem even worse.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Purgato said:

I have to agree but the reason I've said after release is that I'm nearly positive the devs themselves said that. It would seem silly to implement it after adding... actually I'm not sure on the number of hulls, now but I'll assume it's over 50 at this point. Because every hull they end up adding will make the ability to make everything modular for them that much harder, or at least more time consuming.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm optimistic they'll keep their promise of modular hulls after launch, but it would make way more sense to fix it up before it as you said. And I think DLC hulls might make that problem even worse.

I think the main issue was that the AI couldn't really use the system and since the player designer is tied in with what the AI uses any chnages to that will affect the AI system, im not sure how it works or if they could split the two (since they are working in unity im not sure how good unity is when it comes to multiple complex systems being used by different users in general).

I don't think the number of hulls is a problem, since you can just allocate the relevant hulls and pieces to each hull 'type' which should make it easier in general and also to each nation. The current system can be improved ingeneral, but this is still alpha 5 and we are yet to see what the next 2, 3 5 (whenever it ends) alphas bring in terms of new content).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

I think the main issue was that the AI couldn't really use the system and since the player designer is tied in with what the AI uses any chnages to that will affect the AI system, im not sure how it works or if they could split the two (since they are working in unity im not sure how good unity is when it comes to multiple complex systems being used by different users in general).

I don't think the number of hulls is a problem, since you can just allocate the relevant hulls and pieces to each hull 'type' which should make it easier in general and also to each nation. The current system can be improved ingeneral, but this is still alpha 5 and we are yet to see what the next 2, 3 5 (whenever it ends) alphas bring in terms of new content).

Actually that is a very good point. Considering how the AI has some issues already with how ships can be constructed, giving them even more tools may make them look like a pile of slapped together lego (granted that could be amusing in it's own right). And giving the AI only the pre-made hulls we have now would make them appear a little bit same-y after a time.

But yeah, maybe I'm just being a little pessimistic. I really do hope what gets added going forward brings further improvements. And maybe then we can get some oddball ships like the Thunderchild going. I mean, mechanically we're mostly there with the ramming.

• Like 2