Game-Labs Forum

Modern Battleship Mission: Rank my ships!

KiltedKey

Since I play in 4k, I can't upload pictures of them directly here, but I'll be having links to them in Imgur. I made three battleships based off of each hull type. Give me your thoughts, and then I'll give you mine after testing all of them. Every stat is listed for your enjoyment!

This is the American one, the Geralt, my nimble boi. Basically an uber sized Battlecruiser

https://imgur.com/KOk1QTI 

https://imgur.com/yuBsODq

Then the German, the Gutz, the slugger. Sadly, she can only have 3 18 inch guns. A major weakness in my book.

https://imgur.com/DITcy5m

https://imgur.com/5YygrSp

And finally, the Japanese Spaceship Yamato, the big boy. Man are Japanese secondaries so huge! Makes making a secondary heavy Japanese ship not easy.

https://imgur.com/sYmNFKx

https://imgur.com/N8FWIHi

Notice how I like making my ships as invulnerable as possible, lol.

• Like 1

You might be asking why do I make turret armor so thin. And the reply is that I’ve noticed very few capital ships guns ever directly nail a turret, and so that’s an acceptable amount of armor to block shots from bad angles. I’d rather have my deck armor and belt be super hard to pen - since those are hit far more - than just the turrets.

And heavily armored secondaries do add several points of roll, but it also means they won’t break until they are are directly hit by another capital ship gun. It means secondaries from other ships have no chance on taking mine out, and it’s also another layer of deck armor, sorta. Having secondaries broken through and fully destroyed can do some moderate damage to you, so just making them Uber squishy is gonna hurt, and lower your top speed over time. So you might as well make them armored. And all the armor means way less fires. Not that fire damage does anything to ships this big and armored.

Also, 8 inch and 9 inch guns are just destroyer  nukes. They have fantastic range, and still great accuracy. Any HE hit by them will do serious damage, possibly ammo rack them. I set my secondaries to fire if there’s a one percent chance to hit destroyers. With so many big secondaries with such long ranges - thanks to super heavy and white powder shells - destroyers have to be dangerously stupid to get that close to these ships. At least with their mid game 8 to 9 kilometer ranges.

And the Geralt, despite having more roll than she should thanks to all those 8 inch guns, can torpedo dodge if I plan ahead enough. She’s my favorite hull design. Japanese secondaries are just so huge now that you’re paying for the passives on Japanese ships.

Edited by KiltedKey
  • Like 1

Hmm, When i was in custom battles with some BB's (think they were murican) i ended up disabiling the turrets of these german BB's after sometime as well.

Although like you said that is a rare occurance and not the rule, i think it depends on tech since, 1880's ships can barely hit anything and taking out modules just seems like luck half the time.

Hope we get more hulls for that mission, maybe a super roma, super alscase, super lion, super chinese, super spanish etc.

1 hour ago, Cptbarney said:

Hmm, When i was in custom battles with some BB's (think they were murican) i ended up disabiling the turrets of these german BB's after sometime as well.

Although like you said that is a rare occurance and not the rule, i think it depends on tech since, 1880's ships can barely hit anything and taking out modules just seems like luck half the time.

Hope we get more hulls for that mission, maybe a super roma, super alscase, super lion, super chinese, super spanish etc.

Yeah, maybe I need to go to custom mission and do things. I guess my issue is that not having a design saver I can’t micro tweak the design to constantly test it. 

But so far the Geralt is way better than the other two. Her agility, her acceleration, it all pays off spectacularly compared to the other two. And those eight inch guns. Her accuracy is just insane as well, thanks to American hulls getting benefits in that regard as you can see the numbers. And I’m not even using the best secondary towers for any of them, as it would prevent me from using a 4th 18 inch gun and the benefits wouldn’t be worth losing another big gun.

Not to mention her hull form makes her engines much lighter, and maintenance  costs much lower. She’s... a bit overpower compared to her peers.

Edited by KiltedKey
  • Like 1

They all scare me for the lack of barbette,and citadel , with SHS, and increased ammo. Thats a frag grenade. Especially now that torpedoes can detonate you.

Aside from that, i know at the top it will say fore and aft offset, and its good to balance that. But its not actually the only important number. If you look on the right, under "hull", hover over pitch, and roll. You'll find major accuracy degradation, especially in pitch because of the weight of the turrets spread across such long ships. Roll, is somewhat unavoidable if you're using such large secondaries, and even smaller secondaries to an extent.

use some barbettes, you rotate the funnel to save deck space, but just using a barbette and having the turrets super firing would save you deck space. Even if you dont use the barbettes modification in the builder, your turrets all still have barbettes.

I know you didnt ask for CC, but theres a lot going on and not much to explain it.

geralt, imo is the best of them though. theoretically it should have a much better base accuracy once penalties are applied

Edited by Hangar18
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 2:10 AM, Hangar18 said:

They all scare me for the lack of barbette,and citadel , with SHS, and increased ammo. Thats a frag grenade. Especially now that torpedoes can detonate you.

Aside from that, i know at the top it will say fore and aft offset, and its good to balance that. But its not actually the only important number. If you look on the right, under "hull", hover over pitch, and roll. You'll find major accuracy degradation, especially in pitch because of the weight of the turrets spread across such long ships. Roll, is somewhat unavoidable if you're using such large secondaries, and even smaller secondaries to an extent.

use some barbettes, you rotate the funnel to save deck space, but just using a barbette and having the turrets super firing would save you deck space. Even if you dont use the barbettes modification in the builder, your turrets all still have barbettes.

I know you didnt ask for CC, but theres a lot going on and not much to explain it.

geralt, imo is the best of them though. theoretically it should have a much better base accuracy once penalties are applied

Sorry for the slow reply! I was finishing some coursework. You didn’t offend me in the least! Let me reply point by point. I could be thinking too much in a meta point of view instead of realism, which, I can understand why that may perturb you. Still, you deserve a response!

1. Lack of citadel and barbette armor. This might be the more gamey thing I do. The reason why I don’t use either is several fold. The advantages they bring, such as much lower detonate chances, have really not been an issue with this super capital ships, although more testing may need to be done. The only chances I’ve seen of my ammo going up suddenly is if I purposely get close to another capital ship. And when I mean close, I mean 4 kilometers or under from a ship with equal sized guns. And perhaps even closer. I fear as they are written, they are simply passives, so they just lower the chance of ammo detonation. I’m relatively positive that Darth plans on making citadel armor one day its own value system you can add or subtract from, and this is just a solution for now. It’s not only the sheer weight that the citadel toggles bring, but the money cost which hurt this mission as well.

2. Super heavy shells and increased ammo. The increased ammo is more of a roleplaying thing, because I have yet to get ammo even in the yellow during these missions. Switching to normal ammo count would be a valid thing to do. As for super heavy shells, I adore them, and they vastly outweigh their negatives. The increased gun range for all guns also means increased accuracy across the board as well. The benefit of that alone is just too huge to ignore. The increased pen and damage is just another bonus. Range is king, and it also means secondary guns can hit destroyers from farther - and more accurately - than if they were normal or even light shells.

3. Pitch and Roll. Correct, I know you can hover over basically - if not all - of the numbers in the right corner and they will give you extended details. I love how OCD the game is like that. In fact, it is knowing how much that secondaries that are poorly placed may hurt the roll of a ship that make me adjust their caliber. I still find the amount of roll on all of these ships acceptable due to their sheer size - so they’re more stable - and the radars that make them even more accurate. The secondaries are there to push away destroyers. I always put as much secondaries as I can from the default primary and secondary towers. When there is blank hull space, I balance secondaries with caliber, roll, what I’m missing, and if it interferes with firing arcs of other guns. The Geralts 8 inch secondaries add around 10 roll in total, but the amount of utter long range devastation they can bring to destroyers before they get close can not be overstated. And they do good damage to light cruisers to. To destroyers? Utter ruin. One shotting can happen.

4. Using primary gun barbettes. I try not to use these at all if I can. Not only are they a massive weak spot and shell trap - even with armored barbettes - but they require armored barbettes to even be decent. I actually don’t know - but hope - that armored barbettes do actually armor them. But they can be gaping weak spots on a ship that otherwise would result in a deck deflection, or just poorly hit the turret itself. I may have to look at all three designs to see if ANY are worth it. But I wouldn’t even raise a barbette so I could put secondaries underneath. Even though those secondaries would be very stable due to how close they hug the ships center line. I’ve just had bad experiences with raised barbettes. The reason I have some on my secondaries is they hug the towers so close direct hits are nearly unheard of.

And yes, overall, the Geralt is the best of them. American guns and towers just give so much accuracy. And she’s far more nimble than the other two!

31 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Hmm, i wonder if you should try max shell velocity and go light shells for some gud memes.

Also will you be making more ships from this? Maybe differen gun calibers and tonnage or designs in general?

Once they add the other national hulls, for sure. Ehh, the issue with shell velocity is I think it mostly helps get deck hits, but I feel the extra range and pen of super heavy shells is always worth it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Hmm, i wonder if you should try max shell velocity and go light shells for some gud memes.

Also will you be making more ships from this? Maybe differen gun calibers and tonnage or designs in general?

i find light shells a hard pill to swallow due to accuracy degredation