Game-Labs Forum

Benefits of 4 turrets, twins super-firing over triples.

skg02

Have seen some discussion below about side mains acting like secondaries, but just discovered something with an all big gun ship - something like the former, but more of "its not a bug, but a feature".

Playing and losing, again after many times, the Hood "Prove Your Might" tried a 10 gun Nevada configuration. 

The triples could target and fire as main guns and the twins could target and fire as the secondaries. Didn't see what would happen if I used real secondaries yet. 

In this case though was able to fight against the CA and the BB at the same time.

Coming alphas like to see targeting and firing by director, make directors a separate buy, and the towers have mount points like guns do now, better/more advanced towers more director mounts - and they rotate as suggested elsewhere as they target. 

So the game treated your twin turrets as "secondaries" even though they were of the same caliber as the main battery triples?

I suppose it was theoretically possible for ships to split their main battery fire across targets if the turrets were under local control....and perhaps some ships' fire control systems could split main battery fire across multiple targets -- I don't know. I think it's safe to say local control is really only a last resort (because you're not going to hit much) and that splitting main battery fire at best makes you half as likely to hit two targets while each has the same chance to hit you.

I think I've read that additional fire control systems are planned for future updates. Things like fire control computers, fire directors, and remote power control for the turrets are all things that I don't think are currently modeled, but rather only rangefinders.

More broadly, there are advantages and disadvantages to having more turrets. Four turrets reduces the amount of firepower as a proportion of the total lost if one of the turrets is knocked out, and also creates more balanced firing arcs. Using fewer turrets with more barrels per turret saves weight, allowing armor, speed or both to be increased, or for cost to be lowered. I'm not sure that these tradeoffs fully come to life in this current build, but I'm sure things will get there.

8 hours ago, I Scouting Group said:

So the game treated your twin turrets as "secondaries" even though they were of the same caliber as the main battery triples?

I had the same thing happen a few minutes ago. Built a battleship with 2x3, 2x2 gun layout, twins over triples. When I gave the order to hold fire, I noticed the twin guns fired despite my order. When I held fire with secondaries, they stopped.

I Scouting Group:

Looks like the twins will bundle with secondaries if you have them too. Just built a BC with AB triple 16s then aft 3 twin 9in mains, and aftmost triple 16, will see if 9s fire as secondaries.

Way it should work is you'd have fore/aft, and two side directors, or something like.

To your point Drach covered the point about turrets on the Ise class - Japanese went 6 turrets to fight outnumbered, engage more targets. Seems like here that might mean two secondary towers for 3 main directors, and then the barbette's to support as requested already on this board.

Edited by skg02

6 hours ago, Illusive Tabby said:

I had the same thing happen a few minutes ago. Built a battleship with 2x3, 2x2 gun layout, twins over triples. When I gave the order to hold fire, I noticed the twin guns fired despite my order. When I held fire with secondaries, they stopped.

That would follow.

Looked again at Ise and was wrong, Just two towers. Director aft/fore, each side, sides for secondaries. Interesting to see where 14 in. turret rangefinders are, Super-firing fore/aft turrets have them, but both mid-ship have them. Would guess that fore/aft 2 turrets work together as a set, and mid turrets can support together or separately. Most importantly shoot to opposite broadsides.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny!  I've seen the exact opposite happen!  EG, I built a ship with tripple A and Y turrets, superfiring twins in B and X.  The Twins acted as the primary armament, while the tripples targeted with the secondaries.  

12 minutes ago, Cabusha said:

Funny!  I've seen the exact opposite happen!  EG, I built a ship with tripple A and Y turrets, superfiring twins in B and X.  The Twins acted as the primary armament, while the tripples targeted with the secondaries.  

Would suggest position, not barrels is the key. Have to xperiment.

4 hours ago, Cabusha said:

i had this in the cruiser missions twin 254's being the main while triples acted as 'secondaries'.

hey i wouldn't fat secondaries but not as my main armament lol.

On 2/26/2020 at 12:35 AM, Illusive Tabby said:

Yeah, can also confirm that when last i played (when alpha 4 first dropped) that A & Y turrets being triple/three-gunned, B & X turrets being twin/two-gunned, the latter(iirc) counts as being part of the secondaries even though they were of the same caliber

This also happens with single-gun turrets

On 2/25/2020 at 4:05 PM, skg02 said:

[...] Didn't see what would happen if I used real secondaries yet. 

The main turrets will still be included with the standard secondary guns (2"-8")

All in all i do like the aspect of having the ability to target different ships with different turrets. But i get the feeling that this isn't intentional and more of a bug.