Game-Labs Forum

Does accuracy lie?

SmoCro

I run a couple of games of 4 destroyers against one battleship.

Three times the battleship wiped out the 4 destroyers with 6 to 8 salvos at about 5-10 kilometers with an accuracy of less than 4%.

The probability for that is a good size last than 4% and the chance of that happening 3 times in a row is going into numbers behind the point.

It could be a statistical anomaly but I am dubious.

Is the AI cheating?

Just now, SmoCro said:

Explain?

I believe you do know that % lies on the range from 0 (guaranteed it won't happen) to 100 (guaranteed to happen). The game usually seems to present us with very low hit probability values, below 10%. And yet, it hits. So sometimes it feels like those numbers are not indicative of real chances to hit the enemy. This is why I said that sometimes 4% feels like 40%. 

Unfortunately, human evaluations of probability are notoriously unreliable. I would consider any such claims to be not credible unless they are accompanied by a controlled trial, or at minimum a video showing repeated occurrences (which could still be cherry-picked, but is still far more credible than nothing).

44 minutes ago, akd said:

I believe the probability shown is per shot, not salvo.  4% for a 10-gun salvo is, I think, 34%?

Yep, it's per shot unless you're looking at the one explicitly labeled "any of n salvo" in parentheses.

image.png.13ddd72e4cedf478dcc5f56c44c54a9c.png

34% is also correct, though depending on how "4%" was rounded it could be anywhere from 30% to 37%. This is also how the "any of n salvo" is computed.

• Like 3