Game-Labs Forum

Grapeshot penetration tables?

Guardian54

First of all, it's grapeshot, not canister. Canister usually comes in a can (hence the name) and is musket ball sized, grapeshot is CONSIDERABLY larger to actually be able to punch through some boards.

Are there rough rules on how much armour grapeshot can penetrate? Like "1/3 as much as Ball at same range from the same gun" or something?

Because it seems that when I shoot brigs with heavy guns firing grapeshot, I can still just lol through their armour and wreck guns, crew, etc easily.

I'll test this tomorrow if the hull damage bug hasn't been patched out enough for Arrogante to not roflstomp the French frigate line in "Objects In Motion" by then. Because dropping the enemy down to 40% hull (or in the last of the three frigates in the enemy vanguard, 20% hull) but 50% armour in one broadside doesn't give me much chance to capture them as I don't have enough men in my fleet to just overrun ALL their crews even with great melee skill and sword bayonets.

I dearly hope there's established rules for this...

Although I do not know the exact values (but would like to), there is definitely a heavily detailed system going on behind the scenes that is determining the penetration of grape based on several factors such as ships, armor, etc. However, I don't necessarily think it is as simple as "1/3 as much as Ball at same range from the same gun" but probably would have a comparable impact similar to this.

I am displeased to inform everyone that grapeshot seems incapable of penetrating frigate armour when fired from a third-rate's guns. It can damage crew and masts on deck but will refuse to go through the enemy's gunports, let alone their sides.

So I cannot do Objects in Motion until the hull damage bug gets patched out because I am determined to have a perfect capture record (thus far I've lost the captured San Silvestre to magazine detonation though during the capture of the Arrogante). Let's hope that patch comes out soon like they promised (they promised to release it today)