Game-Labs Forum

Both And

Hardlec

Some players seem to want only straight historical scenarios.

Some players seem to want those options than can be realistic within a given technology (Quasi-Historical)

Some players want "out of this world" tech.

Some players want various things in between.

There is no point arguing over which is better, because that is all subjective.

I like to write fiction, and the idea of writing various "what if" situations is very attractive, however, how far "out there" is something I like to control.

SO:   Give the players a checklist of things they can change, and let individual players make their choices.  Also allow for a "blind AI" option.  I have made 10 choices, the AI gets 10 choices, I don't get to know, much less pick, what they are.

Basically, I do want to see a strictly historical technology option.  But I also want to see much, much, more.

I think the more options you allow, the more difficult it is to make sure people cannot simply game the system.

While this is probably going to be SP only at the beginning, people being able to game the system too easily will still be a problem, as they will flood the forums (steam forums especially) with "omfg this is way too easy" posts.

8 hours ago, Hardlec said:

Some players seem to want only straight historical scenarios.

Some players seem to want those options than can be realistic within a given technology (Quasi-Historical)

Some players want "out of this world" tech.

Some players want various things in between.

There is no point arguing over which is better, because that is all subjective.

This argument tries to equate all of them, but this is not true. For one thing, this game is billed and sold as realistic, which obviously is a slant away from "out of this world" tech. If you want such games, there are many others on the market.

For another thing, short of blatantly sci-fi or fantasy settings, realism to the limits of playability is always a virtue. You don't exactly see World of Warships branding itself as the unrealistic naval game. No, realism is always a good thing. When people want other things, it is often because they are bringing in expectations they picked up from other "balanced" games like World of Warships or even hopes, and the realistic game isn't giving it to them. Maybe this is a good chance for such people to at least calibrate their tastes and at least know what realistic is.