Game-Labs Forum

Minelayers, Corvettes and Maps

Warbie

Since most historic battles that involved battleships in the game's timespan have happened in waterways with geographic features that bottlenecked/forced the enemy to use a certain route, Such as Battle of Manila Bay, Battles of Elli and Lemnos, Battle of Tsushima Straights, Gallipolli Landings, Battle of Otranto, Battle of Guadalcanal and the Battle of Philippines, i was wondering if the Battlemap in the campaign would also feature landmasses or straights. Depending on which section of the campaign world map your fleet is in of course.

If so, i suggest adding two new type of small warships, very similar in design but each countering one another. Minelayers and corvettes. Minelayers could be quite useful for smaller fleets to counter bigger warships in certain maps/straights, so big-gun battleships would not be able to close in and attack a weaker fleet who is defending the waterway. This would give a cheaper alternative for campaign nations that have smaller fleets and limited access to ports. Corvettes on the other hand would be tasked with clearing up mines in passages, to open the blocked sections. 

Since both minelayers and corvettes are small vessels, they would have no armor and carry little offensive capabilities, but they could be used in conjunction with other vessels who support/screen them to lay/clear mines and force the enemy to change route/tactics, so they would have to move closer to protect mine clearing corvettes to open the way for bigger warships. Adding smaller types of ships that have very different strenghts and weaknesses would also be a great way to balance the campaign for smaller, less-funded fleets.

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Warbie

I reckon one thing to mention is (while I like the idea) that corvettes are rather different vessels than dedicated minesweepers. I'd rather like for both of those sorts of vessels to be represented, but their roles are indeed different. 

I know that corvettes were generally used as small support craft, especially against submarines but since the submarines will be added as a RNG/off battlemap campaign factor, and since they can detect things underwater, i thought it would be a fair analogy for them to separate them from minesweepers, if added in the game.