Game-Labs Forum

Help with Arrival (Union)

Doge

If there's one hard scenario for me in this game, it's the arrival as the Union. It annoys me that I can't find a good way to use skirmishers; is it me or the game? Generally, I have the skirmishers wait for the Confederate brigades to close it and attack. If I attack, they don't shoot at max range, even with the halt order, and get destroyed by Archer/Davis' explosive ammunition. Even then, the skirmishers take much more damage than they could ever inflict. Not helping is the fact that they will do virtually no morale damage to the brigades (Archer fought the skirmishers, fired at Doubleday, wavered, got charged by the 3000 men, routed 3000 men, general was helping Davis).

Calef isn't enough to do any damage before Archer gets within charging distance, so I immediately send him back to the Seminary.

I don't see any way to defeat the Confederates by 11:30 like in the historical battle (even if I only route them), and definitely not a way to hold them with Buford until 11:00. By the time the Iron Brigade and Cutler finally make it, the skirmishers are in a cycle of continuous routing (they stop routing, I try to move them to regroup by Buford to recover, they route from running too much). 

In my experience on game( MP) and in life you show a bold front! keeps the attacking opponent checking to stand in fight makes em go on back foot!

If you run for the hills to defend ur just giving up the fight...he'll come at yer like a steam train knowing ur scared he's won psychological battle an u'll be feart for remainder of battle....hope this explanation not lost in translation  :huh:

Do not fall straight back. Your units are light but they are 5 of them against 2 heavy brigades. Surround and harass them as much as possible. Hit and run the slow infantry brigades, do not stand for long in volleying and make sure that they won't fall in melee (attack, fire, Fall Back, reload and repeat constantly). Calef can shoot few shells or a couple of canister on the flanks before move to safety (keep firing while re-deploying). If he is being charged and you see an inevitable loss, counter-charge with a light unit to buy time for Calef. It is better to sacrifice a light unit than loosing your arty.   

You cannot halt the attackers but you can delay and tired them, so Iron and Cutler have an easy work to do. Your first objective is to make sure that Oak Ridge will remain unoccupied (send Cutler straight away and Hold him in that position). If you play it right, Davis will collapse and forced to fall back just before Oak Ridge. For Archer most likely you'll need Iron brigade to finish he job. 

Here is one of the "openings" I prefer for US:

bNmAuR.jpg

Here, I try to move 2 skirms to the flanks of the 2 CS brigades (I actually want the attackers just to turn a bit and expose their inner flank to my 3rd skirm unit). The middle skirm will couple with each of them to create 2 to 1 situations against Archer or Davis (and repel the Heth's skirms). Cavs guard Archer and support skirms where is needed.

This map is the most balanced of all the maps on UGG in my opinion. Both Yankee and Rebel have equal chances to win. I prefer to play as Yankee on this map only because its so much more satisfying winning against a human with my crazy tactics and them scratching their heads going how the hell did he win?

The secret to this map is the opening moves, just like in chess it determines how you will play the rest of your game.

One of my favorite tactics and one I use often is to mass attack Davis Brigade and Ignore Archer completely. Have all five of your units swing north and hit Davis from all sides. The enemy will think you have gone mad and will rush Archer forward and try and take one of the VPs... Complete mistake. As you chip away at that monster Davis Brigade he cannot hold his morale long and before long you will have him running away. Keep your skirmishers attacking. By this time Iron Brigade and Cutler arrive. have them attack Archer. Archer is good but no match to superior Reload and Accuracy of the two best Union brigades in 1st Corps. You can utterly murder Archer and you want to. Kill him till he reaches 400 men and he will rout from battle and you dont have to worry about him no more. Keeping your skirmishers forward will prevent Petti and Brock from rushing to the aid of Archer fall back your skirmishers and sacrifice their lives if need be. After Archer is dead Rush Iron Brigade and Cutler forward as much as you can. This will give you a buffer zone to fall back and give you crucial time for rest of 1st corps to arrive.

Another secret for Union deploying troops is to NEVER EVER deploy troops to a location that already has troops. Always extend your line or open up a new battle front. Never chase after the enemy. You will always be fighting a battle on his terms. Instead make him chase after you.

Key and point. As the battle rages 3/4 through the battle the rebels are spent. Fire focus multiple union brigades on what ever Rebel Brigades hold the center of the line. Murder them and send them fleeing. Once a gap has been created you should be arriving new reinforcements. Rush them through the center of the line. Fall back your flanks and now run your entire army following the reinforcements Capture the 3000VP Herrs ridge. Bring up your cannons. Form a battle line before the rebels catch on. Before you know it the battle is almost over. You have 5+ brigades sitting on the 3000VP with cannon support. At this point rebels will start crying.

Que Rage Quitters

post-3765-0-52779700-1422636657_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-12757200-1422636671_thumb.jpg

• Like 1