Game-Labs Forum

Has anyone read the Horatio Hornblower Series? Form C.S. Forester?

Meraun

Just finished re-reading Commodore Hornblower. I still love the guy. I started reading the books because Gene Roddenberry based Captain Kirk on Hornblower and I finally read one of the novels. I've n\been hooked on nautical fiction ever since. I've read a lot of different authors since, Kent being my favorite, but Forester was my first and still enjoyable.

• 4 weeks later...

I like Alexander Kent's long series, but he also writes under his own name as Douglas Reeman. In this guise he is one of my favorites (more modern naval stuff, mostly 20th century naval).

Dudley Pope's Ramage series is another of my favorites (more Hollywood-ish - officer is a nobleman who gets to keep the core of his crew together from cutter to frigate), but I really like the characters and plots.

If you like science fiction: 'Jon Williams' is the pen name of the big selling SciFi author "Walter Jon Williams" who wrote 5 sailing novels to start his career. (US privateers). And the Privateers and Gentleman / Heart of Oak sailing miniatures wargame rules.