Game-Labs Forum

Crafting Guacata Superior Gunpowder

Commodore Sixty Four

Question

Hi Team

I recently acquired the ingredients to craft Guacata Superior Gunpowder to obtain the benefit of its +7% penetration, including the relevant Note, Guacata Saltpeter and the Treatise on Making Saltpeter.  As I hadn't made Guacata Superior Gunpowder before I didn't "Use" the Book as I would with other Books and add it to my "library" (or knowledge ) for future use, I simply retained it in my Warehouse.  After I'd made the Guacata Superior Gunpowder I noticed the treatise had been consumed and was no longer available to make more Guacata Superior Gunpowder. 

My question is: if I'd "Used" the treatise as I would normally with other Books,  and it became included in my "library", would it be available to make more batches or is one Treatise on Making Saltpeter needed for each batch of Guacata Superior Gunpowder?  Or, another way of asking, did I limit my ability to make Guacata Superior Gunpowder by leaving the treatise in my Warehouse rather than "Using" it?

I'd like to understand the process before trying to source and invest in (a fairly rare) Treatise on Making Saltpeter.

Thanks in advance!

8 answers to this question

Using up a book to craft one superior upgrade is an option that you took. Another would have been if you had just read the book, you would have the knowledge to apply to a knowledge slot in as many ships as you want. I believe it is 2% increased penetration. 

1 hour ago, Barbancourt said:

The book is a component in the recipe.  Crafting consumes the book to create the upgrade.

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Is one treatise limited to creating one gunpowder or can one treatise create multiple gunpowder, based on quantity of available saltpeter?

Thanks again! 

You tend to find the books in shipwrecks.  Then you craft a nice upgrade and enjoy it while you can.  It's a special treat, not something you'll rely on for every ship you own.  Besides, what else are you going to do with your 3rd or 5th Saltpeter book anyway?

24 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Using up a book to craft one superior upgrade is an option that you took. Another would have been if you had just read the book, you would have the knowledge to apply to a knowledge slot in as many ships as you want. I believe it is 2% increased penetration. 

Yes 2% for Guacata and 3% for Almira I think. Also using the book for knowledge will survive the release wipe (unless that changes again).

6 hours ago, Farrago said:

Yes, which is the same as Basic Weighted Gunpowder, which is fairly common, and an alternative path to the same benefit using a permanent Upgrade instead of Knowledge slot.