Game-Labs Forum

Would it be possible to add some "in-between" boarding mechanic. Some mechanic where you aren't boarding yet, but are in combat at close range and low speed.

As an example : if you have boarding turned on and prep is high enough, have an option to fire muskets.

This could kill crew depending on where they are located. I.e. if they have lots of crew on boarding then they are exposed and will be easily hit, or if there are lots of crew on sailing/ repairing sails, then they would be more exposed and more crew would get hit.

The accuracy could depend on speed of both ships, roll, when you fire, angle of ships etc etc.

Just an idea for improving the whole boarding experience. Of course this could also be things such as throw grenades etc. Then for the actual boarding instance it would be the same.

Of course it is would be a big change in gameplay. 

• Like 1

Something in the middle of full sail cannon fire and locked down boarding while stopped with no cannon fire or sails?
That would actually be very cool, but I don't think it will happen because we already have boarding as it is.

Edited by Slim McSauce

3 hours ago, traitorous mctraitoro said:

Would it be possible to add some "in-between" boarding mechanic. Some mechanic where you aren't boarding yet, but are in combat at close range and low speed.

As an example : if you have boarding turned on and prep is high enough, have an option to fire muskets.

This could kill crew depending on where they are located. I.e. if they have lots of crew on boarding then they are exposed and will be easily hit, or if there are lots of crew on sailing/ repairing sails, then they would be more exposed and more crew would get hit. 

The accuracy could depend on speed of both ships, roll, when you fire, angle of ships etc etc.

Just an idea for improving the whole boarding experience. Of course this could also be things such as throw grenades etc. Then for the actual boarding instance it would be the same.

Of course it is would be a big change in gameplay. 

I really don't mean this to come off as rude as it's probably gonna sound, but this doesn't sound that much like an "improvement" to me as much as a way for people who hit 9 way too late to punish people who are good at forcing a boarding action with high prep, which already risks taking crew damage if you don't know what you are doing. I'd rather see a big rework to the whole system, or simply no change at all, than see bad crew management rewarded.

I'm not a big fan of boarding, by the way, and avoid it as much as I possibly can, so don't take this as criticism coming form somebody that doesn't want their preferred playstyle nerfed.