Game-Labs Forum

Account Reset

HawkeRN

I see that Naval Action has become yet another game that follows the modern trend of tying progress to an account rather than a character. I often find I want to start again, particularly in an Early Access game or a game where I am returning after a long period away, but it seems I can no longer do that in Naval Action. I understand that many people do not understand why anyone would ever want to start again, but there are quite a few of us who do. Please could you either provide a reset option, or revert to the old fashioned method of tying progress to a character? I have read that a GM might be able to reset as a one-off, but it's something I tend to do quite often before I have got the feel for the game.

Fortunately, for now, since I haven't played since this was introduced, it is only tutorial and exam progress that I can't reset, but I understand that the same applies to rank and experience once you have progressed past Midshipman with no experience.

There are many games that I no longer play because of this particular problem, including SWTOR and BDO, as well as some lesser games.

3 hours ago, HawkeRN said:

Fortunately, for now, since I haven't played since this was introduced, it is only tutorial and exam progress that I can't reset, but I understand that the same applies to rank and experience once you have progressed past Midshipman with no experience.

Only tutorial exam XP is tied to your account. Whatever XP you get beyond that is wiped when you delete ("remove") your character. In other words, if you are max rank, and you delete your character only tutorial XP will remain when you start a new one. After completing the tutorial, every subsequent character you make on that account will have the tutorial finished and start at Master and Commander rank.

I'm guessing the reason this is done is both so people who delete their character don't have to do the tutorial again and again, but also so people don't create an alt that they do the tutorial on again and again only to get the rewards.

Perhaps we could disconnect the links between reward, XP, tutorial, rank etc.   Or ensure players are rewarded only once for completing the tutorial.

I would also like to have the option to restart at a low rank, below master and commander.  I have never completed the tutorial and have no intention to.