Game-Labs Forum

Idea for NEW RvR/Hostility system

DISCLAIMER:
I don't hold any illusions that any of this will be considered but with server numbers as they are it is actually more fun to theorise about the game than it is to play it! Feel free to criticise and pick holes/exploits but please don't focus on the actual values, they are theoretical only, they would of course need to be tweaked (probably according to server numbers). This took me about 15 mins to come up with (took longer to type it up). Please don't be too rude, it's just for fun! :) If you're not interested, don't read it. 

Major Changes:

Hostility is attributed to the port itself (no longer any particular clan). It is NOT reset after maintenance but reduces by 10% per day. 
It is a permanent but ever-changing attribute of every port.
Hostility caps at 100% (so after daily maintenance the highest a Port can be is 90%).

How Ports gain hostility:

1. TRADING
Whenever a player buys something from an ENEMY port they have the choice to pay the tax or not.
If they elect to pay tax - normal
If they elect NOT to pay the tax they get the smugger flag 'contraband goods'.
'Contraband' status stays attached to the cargo (so anyone carrying any of the smuggled cargo has the status).
If you have a smuggler flag you are unable to call reinforcements (and ai will not come to help you if you are tagged)
The cargo becomes 'non-contraband' as soon as it enters an Outpost warehouse in a friendly port or is sold in a shop.

For every 1000 reals of tax 'avoided' the Port gains 1% hostility.

Any 'contraband' captured by a player friendly to the port, they can either destroy it (reverts the % hostility and tax reward is paid by admiralty) OR sell it back to a friendly port shop (same reward + the sale). (If you had an outpost in the port the goods would have to be sold directly from the ship's hold, otherwise it would cease to be contraband).

The higher the hostility of a port the higher the chance of it's trade good drops occurring.

2. PvP

Ports gain hostility from nearby PvP activity. But different from current system: Hostility is raised according to the port only (not a specific clan) and only players and ai 'friendly' to the port count towards the %. % would be 0.1% x BR of ship sunk: so sinking a L'coean would add 0.8%.

3. PVE

The higher the hostility of a port, the more AI fleets it spawns. Sinking them adds to hostility in same way as PvP (or less perhaps, say 50%)

PvE Missions
Hostility 'kill' missions can be pulled for an enemy port (in current way). But these are the same as current kill missions and these missions pay a doubloon reward: Reward = 1 Doubloon x every 10% of ports hostility x 10% of BR
Eg.1 you pull a mission for an enemy port that has 20% hostility and sink a Surprise, you get 2 x 14 = 28 Doubloons
Eg.2 you pull a mission for an enemy port that has 50% hostility and sink a Agga, you get 5 x 24 = 120 Doubloons
Eg.3 you pull a mission for an enemy port that has 90% hostility and sink a L'Ocean, you get 9 x 80 = 720 Doubloons
Eg.4 you pull a mission for an enemy port that has 0% hostility and sink a L'Ocean, you get 1 x 80 = 80 Doubloons

Further more: battles stay open for varying times depending on the Ports % hostility. So if you run a kill mission on a port that is at 90% hostility then the battle stays open for 9 minutes to players who are friendly to the port. So PvP will be easier to find near high hostility ports. This would apply to OW tags too so the possibility for ganking/escalation rises near high hostility ports and would allow friendlies (to the port) to defend more easily.

Once a Port has reached 100% hostility it is open to an Enemy Clan to pull the final hostility missions to set up the PB if they want to (timer applies). So a second type of PB creating mission would need to be created. If the Port changes hands, hostility is reverted to 50% (so it can't immediately be taken back).

Advantages

A dynamic system where PvP, PvE and Trading affects the gameworld.
Naturally draws players towards certain ports for higher PVE rewards, better chance of finding PvP, more trading opportunities.
Introduces some 'economic warfare' dynamics and smaller clans and solo players can take part in RvR. Players could be encouraged to target specific ports in Nation chat. National players could group together and sail off to 'farm' enemy ports. You might even get 'smuggling convoys'.
More long term strategy involved in taking enemy ports.
Most of the code for this has already been done: Hostility/contraband goods/Missions etc.
It doesnt mess around with current tagging rules, anyone still can and will tag any enemy player.
You can still keep the current patrol zones (if you must, but personally I think they are crap)

Disadvantages

You tell me, all you exploiters, farmers and multiple alt owners out there, why wouldn't this work, how would you exploit it?
Remember, it's just for fun :)

Edited by Hullabaloo 'The Thief'
added bit about longer battle timers for defenders only
  • Like 10

Interesting concept. I'll get behind most any hostility suggestion that is different than the current system. The whole "lets get 10-20 players together to grind PvE so we can gather 10-20 more players at the same time tomorrow for a PB" thing needs to change imo. It fatigues clan morale and provides a lackluster 3+ hours of content just to get a 45 minute port battle the next day.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

The whole "lets get 10-20 players together to grind PvE so we can gather 10-20 more players at the same time tomorrow for a PB" thing needs to change imo

Agreed. Tbf, I understand why devs have done this. It has to be a 'hard' thing to do, requiring a concerted effort from a large group of players, otherwise some geezer who has only been playing for a week can just rock up to a port in a Herc and set up a PB and players need some notice that a PB is going to happen. But there's got to be a better system than the current one. Game needs a system like the one I have described (or a completely different one) that gives people something to do, gets everyone involved in RvR and gives a purpose to their actions (trading, missions and PvP) other than JUST grinding for slots or money. People talk about player retention and making it better for new players and that is important. But all the players I have spoken to who have stopped playing the game have cited this, lack of any purpose, as the reason they stopped playing. They have already bought the game though I suppose, but if 'potential' players hear of a system of warring nations that they can take part in, no matter how 'small' they are, then they are more likely to buy it. Atm if you are not a member of one of the big clans and/or you are not in the PB fleet then RvR has absolutely nothing to do with you (save the odd screening battle). 

• Like 1

Hostility is a big issue, i remember there being a post when it was changed to this current system saying its going to make it alot easier for the smaller clans. Which is totally the opposite as it now makes it harder and longer for the smaller clan. We spent over 3 hours running up a port last night due to the fact we didnt have the numbers. Its safe to say i wont be doing that again!! There has been quite a few patches since ive been involved with this game and feel this current hostility system isnt the best we've had. Just look at the last time there was a PB at one of the 10,000 BR ports i.e Cap francais or even Cartagena, this is because people cant be bothered with the grind.

I think the flag of conquest should be tried again. Notifiy the whole server when and where the flag was purchased, then hold the purchaser of the flag in port for 10-15 minutes to allow the enemy to prepare a defense fleet. The flag expires if the purchaser does not leave port within 30 minutes. A port battle will be triggered for the next day if the flag reaches its target destination. Flag should be very expensive (reals and/or labor hours based on size/importance of port) and limited to 1 purchase per day/week to prevent trolling. 

No more PvE grind and it gives the defender a fair chance to deny the port battle. It's up to the attacker to determine how big of fleet to assemble to get the job done. 

Edited by Capn Rocko