Game-Labs Forum

Can we fix the AI now?

There are plenty of annoying things with the AI but I'm referring specifically to two things; where they sail in the open world and them shooting at the forts.

They used to sail only along the coast, and then it was changed so more would sail into the ocean to get to far off ports, but a new bug was created after that. Now they frequently sail into the land to get to their destination. I don't imagine fixing this would be too difficult since they avoided land once before. With the old AI I can think of only one place where their pathfinding led them through land, but one or two bad spots is better than all over the place.

When it comes to the forts, the AI don't seem to go out of their way to go after them, but when they are close enough they will fire away. This isn't a huge issue, but besides looking strange, since the forts don't shoot back, it occasionally leads to AI keeping near the coast, which potentially means the player getting themselves beached. It's a minor detail but the game needs a lot more polish before release.

• Like 2

I have never seen AI fire at a fort.  That was part of the reason they turned off AI forts firing at AI ships cause folks would tag ships in front of ports and let the forts kill them.  Wonder if this is something new.

3 hours ago, springby said:

But this is just not a bug.

AI should know to hold the shot until it is clear.  It's just poor AI mechanics that it will shoot at target even if it has a friendly between it and the enemy ship.

AI will fire on forts.

Forts will not fire on Open world/mission AI.

Forts will fire on players and player AI if they are not of the same nation (Even If you are that nation in battle) IE, A Spanish player joins the British side in battle near the British forts the forts will fire on the Spanish player.