Game-Labs Forum

Repair mode / Long term repairs

Summary of my other OP re Repairs.

Repairs basically will form part of the ships resources for example;

Ammo, Food, Repairs.

Allowing you to load your ship as you see fit (for the current sea trials just give everyone X amount so its balanced across all ships - Bigger ship carry more but use more)

These Repairs resources start to be consumed on the activation of your survival stance - with the current repair options now added under the survival button.

The basic idea is that you have slower more deliberate repairs but as there a resource for it you can potentially repair for more than the current 3 repairs if given the time. For testing i would suggest having it repair 25% slower than current but for 40% more potential repair.

Once resources and open world starts this will transition well as you need to make tactical choices on ammo/food/repairs are you going on a short patrol or a long voyage etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Summary of my other OP re Repairs.

Repairs basically will form part of the ships resources for example;

Ammo, Food, Repairs.

Allowing you to load your ship as you see fit (for the current sea trials just give everyone X amount so its balanced across all ships - Bigger ship carry more but use more)

These Repairs resources start to be consumed on the activation of your survival stance - with the current repair options now added under the survival button.

The basic idea is that you have slower more deliberate repairs but as there a resource for it you can potentially repair for more than the current 3 repairs if given the time. For testing i would suggest having it repair 25% slower than current but for 40% more potential repair.

Once resources and open world starts this will transition well as you need to make tactical choices on ammo/food/repairs are you going on a short patrol or a long voyage etc.

Damn You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Sounds good, really like the idea.

It would be quite realistic since many ships used to carry spare mast, sails, ropes + planks, etc...

From the previous posts, i see 2 ways of repairing :

1/ The standard repair with "spare parts" to 100% replace or repair a broken piece. As it was said, "spare parts" would use space in your cargo.

2/  Makeshift repair : when you run out of "spare parts", you can temporary repair your ship. But since it's a makeshift repair, your ship will not recover 100% of his stats of course. It's just give the opoortunity to the player to join a harbour or to maneouvre instead of being a sitting duck in the middle of ocean.

Repairs should take place in your cargo and should be slow.

No magical resurrection/salvage of a ship.

• Like 1

Probably not going to be a popular opinion but I figure there shouldn't be "instant" repairs...obviously this is completely unrealistic. I would suggest a repair system something along the lines of some submarine games I have played...damaged items are fixed at an increased rate in comparisson to reality but are far from instant. Maybe the repair time could be adjusted based on the skill level of the crew etc. but you shouldn't be able to do large hull and sail repairs in a battle.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like the magic repair kit, a major immersion killer for me.  I think some added realism can add variety, drama and more realistic outcomes.  Some good ideas on here.

Something like in the Silent hunter games would be quite good.  

-crew can be assigned to repairing

-Priority of repairs can be chosen

-Some damage can not be repaired or fully repaired at sea.

-An estimated time of repair is given

Could combine that with what some have said about carrying spare parts

-Some spare parts could be needed and consumed for repair, if those parts were realistically carried 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...