Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion to change port maintenance fee

The current system of Port maintenance fees misses a huge opportunity to increase traffic on the seas and create a better economy. At the moment you just pay a certain amount of gold per week depending on the port and how it is set up, this gold can be earned anywhere and you do not even have to deliver it to the port to pay it. 

What if that maintenance cost was changed to trade goods that needed to be supplied to the port weekly, e.g. so much iron and wood for repairs, foodstuffs to feed the populace and gold and silver coins to pay the garrison. The overall cost per week could be the same based on basic prices of the goods, but it would generate a requirement for traders to haul the goods to the port and the port owner would actually have to do some port management to ensure they had sufficient supplies weekly, ans enemies could try and affect the port by blockading.

Each port could have an indicator as to how many supplies they were lacking so people could know what the likely demand would be especially towards the end of a week.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, shaeberle84 said:

Selling player-made ressources to NPCs is a bad idea in an economy that already lacks LH to supply enough ships, cannons and repairs.

Labour hours are manufacturable though, and you can purchase them via the admiralty as well. If I am short of hours, I know I can use up combat marks or surplus gold to get more combat marks and then convert to LH.

People aren't building cannons or ships as they don't see much profit in it. Once the profit is there, the cannons and ships will appear, then of course people bitch about the prices but really, anybody who complains about prices in this patch is just a whiner.

Combat marks are plentiful, gold is plentiful ... there can be little argument as to these facts right now.

5 hours ago, shaeberle84 said:

Selling player-made ressources to NPCs is a bad idea in an economy that already lacks LH to supply enough ships, cannons and repairs.

It would not have to be player made resources, it could be certain trade goods that are required. The main idea is to create some activity on the map transporting these goods to ports for their upkeep just as would have been done in real life.

The more people you have at sea hauling goods the more targets you have for raiders and consequently a greater need to defend the traders, all helping to create more PvP. At the moment if you own a port you do not have to even go to the port to pay the maintenance, you can earn the gold doing easy PvE missions and as long as you have enough gold in your guild bank the maintenance gets paid. Bringing in more port management would create some more content for the game.

12 minutes ago, Archaos said:

It would not have to be player made resources, it could be certain trade goods that are required. The main idea is to create some activity on the map transporting these goods to ports for their upkeep just as would have been done in real life.

The more people you have at sea hauling goods the more targets you have for raiders and consequently a greater need to defend the traders, all helping to create more PvP. At the moment if you own a port you do not have to even go to the port to pay the maintenance, you can earn the gold doing easy PvE missions and as long as you have enough gold in your guild bank the maintenance gets paid. Bringing in more port management would create some more content for the game.

This idea has some merit. There are players who like to trade (not me though) and this would give them something useful to do. I would encourage the trading by having a good 'sell price' dependant upon city needs. I.e the 'sell' prices are determined by stocks in port and selected stocks need to be maintained at a minimum consumption level otherwise port chaos ensues and it reverts to neutral. I would suggest 'fish meat', salt and rum be three such items with the consumption level and minimum stock level set based on the port water depth or trading value.

Worth a go?

Buster (wader not trader)

18 minutes ago, Busterbloodvessel said:

This idea has some merit. There are players who like to trade (not me though) and this would give them something useful to do. I would encourage the trading by having a good 'sell price' dependant upon city needs. I.e the 'sell' prices are determined by stocks in port and selected stocks need to be maintained at a minimum consumption level otherwise port chaos ensues and it reverts to neutral. I would suggest 'fish meat', salt and rum be three such items with the consumption level and minimum stock level set based on the port water depth or trading value.

Worth a go?

Buster (wader not trader)

The idea is for the port owner to source the goods and then hand them in at the port rather than the maintenance fee that is automatically deducted at present. How they get the goods is up to them, they can set up buy orders that traders can fill or they can source the goods themselves and ship them on their own clan traders. The price would then be set by supply and demand.