Game-Labs Forum

Now that we have 1 Dura ships, it can be a real pain and game breaker for some players to put a lot of time, effort and mats into getting a ship only to lose it all. I know of at least 3 players who gave up the game for these reasons.

I don't have an issue with 1 dura ships, but why not have insurance policies. In real life ships were insured, so why not have the option to insure your ships?

Pirates lived outside the law and as such should not have the option to insure their ship. I know this might upset some players, but turning Pirate is a choice of game style and should have it's drawbacks.

it will still attract hardcore pvpers.

Edited by Michael Corvinus
  • Like 1

No insurances please. But I could imagine (quite close to historical facts I think) that Admiralty would be so kind to grant you a ship for your war efforts (who in former times had to buy his own ship?) so that you could exchange lets say 200 to 500 marks for special ships not availiable on the market like the Santa Cecilia, the Niagara or the Rattlesnake ...

At first my experience in naval action makes me against any kind of insurance mecanisme, as i think a sandbox ow mmo should be understood as game where you need to organise with your teammates, find a guild able to provide you with ships replacements, in short : work together or assume your lone wolf style of play but only sail in ships you can afford to loose and replace easily.

But, by reading the "end ganking" topic and listening ts, reading national chat, i tend to admit a lot of people are not ok with the idea of ow naval action where you can't always pick the fight you're in. This lead in a lot of salt & frustration , then topic here to complain about how this is broken.

No  artificial gameplay balance mechanism can solve that, a lot of roe have been tested and none changed the amount of complain. The only way for those players to lower the frustration level would be to allow them to tie surrender in battle and insurance. That's not totally absurd and worked a lot like that in history: captains were surrendering fast when caught by superior forces.

How i can see it: After leaving an outpost, a windows ask you if you want to subscribe for an insurance for your travel (cost in gold to be adjusted, maybe specific to ship class, or ship desclared value,  how many days, and an increase in case of bad subscription/sink ratio)

Then if during the time of the subscription you get caught in a battle you can't win and you can't escape (or don't want to run for 1hour), once you are hit at least one time, you can choose to surrender. 

By surrendering, the enemy get the kill rewards + get access to your cargo & cannons, he can leave with your ship, or let you in it if you are still in battle. If he choose to take your ship or sink it, you get back to your outpost where you took the insurance, there you will be granted with an amount of gold to help you replace your ship (something like the price for the value you declared minus insurance deductible)

- Pirates have no acces to insurance

- Insurance don't work when in a ship of the line