Game-Labs Forum

Corps and Divisions....Best Organization

CSX4451

Just curious how many here set up their Corps and Divisions ? I'm not a huge fan of skirmishers as units but will detach the from the brigades on occasions. I also use Calvary in small quantities ( stealing supplies and taking out arty) Here is my usual setup for each Corps.

________Corps________

2-4 Divisions depending on recruits 

3-5 Brigades of infantry per division maxed at 2000-2500 depending on recruits

1 - Battery of Arty per Division ( 12 guns)

1 - Calvary per Corps ( 300-500)

any thoughts on a better more efficient organization ?

thanks 

Normally I build my corps this way. The Inf Bde have between 2000 to 2500 men per

1x Division with 4 Inf Bde and 2 Arty

2x Division with 5 Inf Bde and 1 x Arty

1x Division with 4 Inf Bde, 1x Cavalry and 1 x Arty

I tend to go uber heavy infantry  (This is my CSA army by washington Brig Gen difficulty)

standard corps layout:

4 divisions

each division 5 inf 1 arty (10-11 guns, usually 10pdr ordinance) each infantry with 2500 men

i rarely use cavalry. :P

Edited by vren55

I generally have three corps. Two "defending" corps, and one "flanking" corps. The "defending" corps are very heavy on the infantry, with two or three divisions of fully loaded brigades (almost always green rookies), and a few skirmishers thrown in here or there. MAYBE I'll throw in a few dragoons, but very rarely.

They also have at least one full division of artillery, generally howitzers. My artillery divisions always have one brigade of infantry, designated as "guards". They serve as my rearguard and prevent any enemy attack on my flanks. Their main task is to protect the artillery if the division is randomly thrown into some far-away part of the map, as the game is so fond of doing.

My third corps, the "flanking" corps, conducts all my offensive maneuvers. This includes a division or two of cavalry. Each cavalry division has  one or two brigades of infantry, three brigades of mounted infantry, and one brigade of melee cavalry. Cavalry takes a lot of micromanaging, but it is magical.

The main point of my "flanking" corps, is that there is NEVER any artillery in it. This is more important then it sounds. Nobody wants to go dragging around a bunch of artillery when they're trying to conduct a lightning-fast assault on the enemy rear. All my very best veteran brigades are in this corps, ready to make that devastating attack to the enemy flank.

Anyways, that's how I handle things... it's interesting to hear other opinions...

Edited by Albert Sidney Johnston
  • Like 1

It is impossible to answer that question. 

I go out of my way to custom build the OOB for all the minor engagements, and craft specific corps for specific tasks in the major battles. I never just build a corps and leave it static. 

Divisional assignments are the same way; but once you reach the point where the entire OOB is opened up and you can put 4 divisions of 6 brigades each on the field; a standard division is usually four heavy infantry brigades, one or two artillery with an option of exchanging one for a cavalry/skirmisher unit based on what is the best unit avaialbe for the job. 

• Like 1