Game-Labs Forum

Crafting

This is one suggestion in a whole range of suggestions I'm thinking about, but arguably the most important for new players.

Put back the experience gain from crafting parts. For new crafters it's both expensive and timeconsuming to build new ships and for lvl 50 crafters there is a need for budding new crafters.

Before the wipe it was an integral part of the economy especially for new players that could sell their LH and get gold + crafting xp for the parts they made..

I also totally agree with Bearwall. In real life, crafting parts would increase knowledge of how to make the whole - and so it should generate some xp, although at a lower rate than crafting ships.

I also think that Labor Contracts need to be rethought. LCs are a vital mechanism for non-crafters to trade their labour hours to crafters and so reduce the cost of player produced items. If LCs are scarce then prices of ships, etc will inevitably rise as crafters exhaust their own hours and look to buy them. It does not make much sense that LCs can only be crafted from labour hours using a special building in a very few number of ports. I know that LCs can be made via the Admiralty using Conquest Marks (20 CMs each!), but perhaps this should be changed to just 500 labour hours and a small fee (say 5k)?

On 6/28/2017 at 0:10 PM, JollyRoger1516 said:

100% agree. Also please bear in mind that unless you did nothing but trader cutter crafting it took several months to reach lvl 50 even before the patch. Honestly I don't see any new player rising through the crafting ranks under the current mechanic.

On 6/28/2017 at 6:37 AM, Bearwall said:

This is one suggestion in a whole range of suggestions I'm thinking about, but arguably the most important for new players.

Put back the experience gain from crafting parts. For new crafters it's both expensive and timeconsuming to build new ships and for lvl 50 crafters there is a need for budding new crafters.

Before the wipe it was an integral part of the economy especially for new players that could sell their LH and get gold + crafting xp for the parts they made..

I just built a workshop and thought I'd start crafting and earning cXP and then start building ships and stuff, but then I, too, realized the only way to earn cXP while crafting is by building ships or completing delivery missions. I think I understand the rationale behind this new change, the whole plan was to get players out into the OW to increase the likelihood of PvP action. So, by making cXP only available by building ships and/or delivering goods, it seems like, before one builds ships, one has to be of a certain craft level (if I'm not mistaken!), so until then, one has to get out into the OW and complete missions, which makes that player "available" for PvP (or be PvP'ed!).

So, it's kinda understandable with the whole pushing people out into the drink, but on the other hand it makes it quite tedious for beginner crafters to get going. I'm a PvE server player and with no risk whatsoever, it took me 4 or 5 days to complete enough missions to reach craft level 3, about 1.6 days per level so far, the higher the level the more cXP I will need and it will take me an Indiaman load of days to reach higher levels.

In other words, this is quite a dilemma!

56 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

I just built a workshop and thought I'd start crafting and earning cXP and then start building ships and stuff, but then I, too, realized the only way to earn cXP while crafting is by building ships or completing delivery missions. I think I understand the rationale behind this new change, the whole plan was to get players out into the OW to increase the likelihood of PvP action. So, by making cXP only available by building ships and/or delivering goods, it seems like, before one builds ships, one has to be of a certain craft level (if I'm not mistaken!), so until then, one has to get out into the OW and complete missions, which makes that player "available" for PvP (or be PvP'ed!).

So, it's kinda understandable with the whole pushing people out into the drink, but on the other hand it makes it quite tedious for beginner crafters to get going. I'm a PvE server player and with no risk whatsoever, it took me 4 or 5 days to complete enough missions to reach craft level 3, about 1.6 days per level so far, the higher the level the more cXP I will need and it will take me an Indiaman load of days to reach higher levels.

In other words, this is quite a dilemma!

You can make traders lynx' right at the go as far as I recall.. so no need for the delivery missions..

1 minute ago, Bearwall said:

You can make traders lynx' right at the go as far as I recall.. so no need for the delivery missions..

Thanks for the clarification. So one can earn cXP from the very beginning granted he/she has the necessary goods. And you still feel it's a grind?

2 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

Thanks for the clarification. So one can earn cXP from the very beginning granted he/she has the necessary goods. And you still feel it's a grind?

I've been a lvl 50 crafter for ages so I'm not concerned about myself.. but yes I believe new players will simply not want to invest the ressources in a lvl 1 shipyard, only to invest boundless hours and ressources in crafting ships..

16 hours ago, Bearwall said:

I've been a lvl 50 crafter for ages so I'm not concerned about myself.. but yes I believe new players will simply not want to invest the ressources in a lvl 1 shipyard, only to invest boundless hours and ressources in crafting ships..

It seems like the most common complaint about this patch is the grind, and yes I agree with you it does feel like a lot of work for little reward. Maybe that hard won reward is so cherished that people don't feel like going out and losing it in the first PvP battle they run into.

Even though this patch has been designed to push people into the OW, I've been reading in the chat a few PvP players coming to relax on the PvE server saying they've had less PvP play now than they had prior to the patch.

Anyway, I hope things improve for the PvP players.