Game-Labs Forum

Crafting - Subcomponents

I've always liked crafting and enjoy the idea of building all of your own items. Though one thing that has always irked me is how unfriendly the crafting system is in Naval Action. You need to separately log down how many items you need of a various resource, then go to that resource and determine how many of those you need (Cordage and Oakum), and even further subcombines in several cases (Tar).

A more fluid system would simply allow you to craft the final sub-component before final assembly of your ship. Do you want to make 3 mid grade notes? Move the slider over to the three, and click craft and it begins smelting ingots, then coins, and finally the notes. One click and no back and forth counting and clicking. If you do a ton of crafting, writing this all down when all of this can be streamlined with no loss of game play value. I can't imagine anyone likes counting up coal and iron for ingots, then for fittings, then for carriages.

There are a variety of games that currently do it this way, Empyrion which is arguably a craft heavy game, allows you simple select your finished sub-component and it will make all of the lesser sub-combines without pushing the tedious burden on the player. I know Naval Action Craft exists and it helps to a degree, but it would make life easier and overall better in the game if this tool were not necessary, at no loss of game play value. I know it would take development time, but it would be well worth it.

Edited by Rabman
  • Like 1

Use the hyperlinks. Each ingredient in a BP is a hyperlink to the next BP - you know this, don't you? The Back button returns you up the tree.

I'm not sure I'd like auto crafting of sub-components. I could quickly run out of money or labour hours at a point I didn't want to, whereas doing it by hand keeps me in control.

• Like 1