Game-Labs Forum

Proposal for simplified inclusion of division commanders

Hi all,

I recently saw that once again someone has suggested the inclusion of division commander during battles, and the equally valid opposing view (that they are one more thing to manage when you are trying to coordinate a 60+ unit army) was raised as well.

I would like to propose a means of inclusion that satisfies both viewpoints. In many ways, this game is a spiritual successor to Civil War General and CWG2. In that game, the corps commander was portrayed, like in UG:CW, as a standalone unit on the field with a radius of benefit (or malus, based upon the general's skill, but that's a discussion for another time). In contrast, division commanders were indicated by a gold star on one of the brigades of that division, indicating it was the brigade to which the division commander was attached.

I propose a similar solution here, where in the camp screen you are able to select which brigade to attach each division commander to, where they might provide a very small additional bonus for their presence to the brigade they are with, and a minuscule bonus to units from their division in close proximity (to encourage keeping a division together). On the battlefield, the brigade in question would have an additional name along with its given name, to indicate the presence of the division commander, for example "Iron Brigade / Reynolds". This would apply to enemy units as well, as you would see where their division commanders were once you engaged that brigade. Likewise, the only way a division commander could be killed was if the unit he is with was engaged, so you at least can keep them "safe" by keeping that brigade out of combat should you wish.

No micromanagement, yet the division leaders would be present on the battlefield.

• Like 2

I think somebody else proposed something similar, except you could call the divisional commander to a certain brigade to give it boosts. And the farther the divisional commander was from the brigade asking for help, the longer it would take. So this would not only let you shift your divisional commander where he is needed most, but would provide incentive to keep your brigades in the same division closer. Right now there's no reason to do so. 

I don't really see this changing in this game, but it is good input for future games. 

55 minutes ago, Wright29 said:

I think somebody else proposed something similar, except you could call the divisional commander to a certain brigade to give it boosts. And the farther the divisional commander was from the brigade asking for help, the longer it would take. So this would not only let you shift your divisional commander where he is needed most, but would provide incentive to keep your brigades in the same division closer. Right now there's no reason to do so. 

I don't really see this changing in this game, but it is good input for future games. 

I considered suggesting something like that, but the point I'm trying to make here is to keep it as simple as possible as well.

Getting killed being in a random brigade is annoying. This another time where my Division Commander Archer was killed while supposedly being with the 6th unit which was an artillery piece that got flanked by skirmishers/sharpshooters. I prefer to have an individual unit with additional bonuses or able to assign him to a unit and only gives extra bonuses along with a XP boost to that selected unit. Either one would be great. 

• Like 1