Game-Labs Forum

Let's talk about (campaign) difficulty.

Admiral666

By the same measure, you shouldn't be seeing Fayettevilles in the store or as reputation purchases until basically after Antietam, if we're trying to maintain historical accuracy; the machinery for making Fayettevilles was captured from Harper's Ferry, if I were to recall.

2 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

By the same measure, you shouldn't be seeing Fayettevilles in the store or as reputation purchases until basically after Antietam, if we're trying to maintain historical accuracy; the machinery for making Fayettevilles was captured from Harper's Ferry, if I were to recall.

To some degrees true.  Though I think your assumption is that the machinery at Harper's Ferry wasn't removed from the armory there until the Maryland Campaign in September of 1862.

According to wiki, (which I hate as a reference source,) it does back up your claim when researching Fayetteville Rifles, that the Harper's Ferry manufacturing equipment was sent to North Carolina, (in contrast to some of my other readings stating that it went to Tredegar in Richmond,) not saying either are wrong, otherwise why would they name a rifle produced in Richmond after a city in North Carolina?!  ;)

Your timing is in error however.

The Virginia Secession Convention voted April 17th 1861 to secede from the union, and within 24 hours Virginians from the area of Harper's Ferry seized the Armory. The Virginia Secession Committee informed R.E. Lee that removing the equipment was a top priority. Governor Letcher assigned T.J. Jackson to command of the troops assembled at Harper's Ferry, and R.E. Lee instructed Jackson that the machinery needed salvaging and moved immediately.

One week after his arrival at Harper's Ferry, April 29th, 1861, Jackson informed Lee that 2/3rds of the machinery had been moved to Winchester awaiting further transfer.

The article in the wiki search said that some time in February 1862 the editor of the Fayetteville Observer wrote he was shown a weapon manufactured at the new Armory in town.  I doubt that the first run of this equipment was enough to start supplying troops, but it appears the equipment was operational by February 1862.

My problem is ... How would Union troops even have access to this weapon, and in any kind of numbers? Especially given that the rifle was manufactured in the South and barely in telling numbers.  Now granted I don't play a lot of Union Campaigns so I don't know if it is considered a "stock" Union weapon. But to allow the Union troops use of this weapon is a serious error of history.

11 minutes ago, A. P. Hill said:

My problem is ... How would Union troops even have access to this weapon, and in any kind of numbers? Especially given that the rifle was manufactured in the South and barely in telling numbers.  Now granted I don't play a lot of Union Campaigns so I don't know if it is considered a "stock" Union weapon. But to allow the Union troops use of this weapon is a serious error of history.

The Union cannot purchase Fayettevilles from the Shop at any point in time.  However, you may be able to equip a few Federal brigades with Fayettevilles post-Stones River depending on how many you pry from dead Rebel hands.

Edited by The Soldier

It's not considered a stock Union weapon. They go up to 1861s and 1863s and not Fayettevilles.

The point is, however, that through reputation purchases and the fact that you can buy enough Fayettevilles before 1862 is the main reason why the scaling is hitting M1863s.

If Fayetteville purchases (mainly the 2x 750s through reputation at around Gaines Mill/Malvern) were pushed out to the Antietam time frame, people wouldn't have enough Fayettevilles to push the scaling to 1863s.

Edit: If there was a sacking of the Harper's Ferry Armory prior to the Maryland Campaign, isn't that modeled as the CS RIchmond rifles that are present in the game?

Edited by Wandering1

1 hour ago, Wandering1 said:

Edit: If there was a sacking of the Harper's Ferry Armory prior to the Maryland Campaign, isn't that modeled as the CS RIchmond rifles that are present in the game?

There is no IF involved in the "sacking" of Harper's Ferry prior to the Maryland Campaign.  It is noted historical fact that the Virginia troops secured Harper's Ferry from the first day of Virginia's official seceding from the Union.

But then, given to game play, there is still a lot with this program that needs work.

----

@The Soldier thanks for clearing that up for me, as I stipulated, I don't play Union very often so I am not even remotely familiar with their armory stocks.

2 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

There is no IF involved in the "sacking" of Harper's Ferry prior to the Maryland Campaign.  It is noted historical fact that the Virginia troops secured Harper's Ferry from the first day of Virginia's official seceding from the Union.

But then, given to game play, there is still a lot with this program that needs work.

----

@The Soldier thanks for clearing that up for me, as I stipulated, I don't play Union very often so I am not even remotely familiar with their armory stocks.

I play the Union a lot, there are no Fayetteville rifles available in the shop, but if you scour the battlefields you might find a few. 

But, this goes back to the eternal question: historical reality vs. play balance. You would break the game to make it a historical siumlation, I fight you on that front at every turn. 

En garde, monsieur!

• Like 2

Not even a matter of play balance versus historical reality; both can be satisfied, just that both sides have to play by the same rules; if Union can't get M1863s before 1863, there's no reason CSA should get Fayettevilles before 1862. When currently in the game, you can purchase a few hundred at 1st Bull Run. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 0:03 AM, Hitorishizuka said:

The current normal campaign I'm youtubing generally doesn't have the high kill counts on artillery my previous ones did because cheese infantry kills everything so fast/hard but it well could.

Link?