Game-Labs Forum

Couple of Suggestions-What Do You Think?

civsully1

I know there are many grizzly veterans whom have been playing UGCW for quite some time compared to us rookies. It's probable these have been mentioned and discussed but felt should be proposed again and maybe some of the advanced play testers here can give us an update if any?

1) Ability to "side-step" a unit. I've never given a real brigade the order to side step it's position. So from a practical viewpoint I don't know if this was tactically possible during Civil War combat? However, one might imagine an order of; Left or Right Face March or Half Step, as being realistic unless in direct immediate combat. So would be neat to be able to click a unit and drag it a little distance left or right to "side step" it.

2) Better Defined/Visual Fire Ranging Aid. What's in place now is incredibly difficult for me to see especially so for artillery. Having never studied the ballistics of CW weapons it's hard to visualize the effectiveness of different weapons at range. But don't ask me to stand at 340 yards and point a Lorenz at me to answer this question!

3) I believe it's also been ask to add a tone alert when you receive messages during battles. I know there are text boxes that pop up momentarily. But I'm so scope locked onto multiple battles all over the battlefield that I tend to miss them. Technically this would be like a Corps Commander receiving dispatches from his subordinates advising him of note worthy events like; reinforcements, key leaders lost, etc.

4) A post battle video replay. I'm usually just so glad that I completed a mission that it's hard to assess my tactics to achieve the end. Having the ability to replay the entire battle would be huge I think. Now realistically from the software standpoint, I have no idea if this would be practical to implement or not. But I'd like to see if this has value to the majority?

Finally I want to give credit to the development team, play testers, and players posting on You Tube. Your contributions are invaluable to especially the newer players finding UGCW. I watched a lot of the videos before buying the early release. Look at the majority of the videos done in early development/release time frame of 3 months ago. It's amazing to see how much the AI has improved from then compared to the few players posting battles within the last month or so. You can see the AI getting better in all facets. Really amazing especially with the last couple of patches. So kudos to the developers for that. And thanks to the folks on You Tube that are posting battles using the more recent patches! Finally thanks to the many grizzled vets here that are always willing to answer questions and share their advice and experiences.  Amazing stuff! Cheers

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, civsully1 said:

3) I believe it's also been ask to add a tone alert when you receive messages during battles. I know there are text boxes that pop up momentarily. But I'm so scope locked onto multiple battles all over the battlefield that I tend to miss them.

This has been suggested before and I still wholeheartedly agree. We absolutely need a tone alert when we receive a message. If implemented, we should probably have the option to turn the alert off, for surely there will be those who say it drives them crazy hearing the chime over and over.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, civsully1 said:

1) Ability to "side-step" a unit.

You can actually already do that (one of my fav trick) basically use the left click move on a unit but not from it's center : if you want it to slide left give it a very small move order from the brigade's left and the opposite for the right. (hard to explain properly so if you don't understand me just ask and I'll provide screenshots)

2) Better Defined/Visual Fire Ranging Aid

I agree that the range line is a bit hard to distinguish maybe it's color will be changed eventually. However for infantry brigades the range is always the same so you won't have trouble getting used to it, it's only the high range damage that is modified by the weapon. 

tone alert when you receive messages during battles

Request has been made by me and other testers/players (rather recently however). I also hope the team will think about something on this matter.

4) A post battle video repla

Quite an original request. Not sure how this one could be effectively implemented since even in Total war that feature is unreliable (corrupted replays happen all the time there).

Hope you'll keep enjoying the game just don't rush into harder difficulties before you're ready ;) .

1 hour ago, Col_Kelly said:

You can actually already do that (one of my fav trick) basically use the left click move on a unit but not from it's center : if you want it to slide left give it a very small move order from the brigade's left and the opposite for the right. (hard to explain properly so if you don't understand me just ask and I'll provide screenshots)

I agree that the range line is a bit hard to distinguish maybe it's color will be changed eventually. However for infantry brigades the range is always the same so you won't have trouble getting used to it, it's only the high range damage that is modified by the weapon. 

Request has been made by me and other testers/players (rather recently however). I also hope the team will think about something on this matter.

Quite an original request. Not sure how this one could be effectively implemented since even in Total war that feature is unreliable (corrupted replays happen all the time there).

Hope you'll keep enjoying the game just don't rush into harder difficulties before you're ready ;) .  No worries there C K. I'll just halfway through playing the South at the BG level!! :blink:

23 hours ago, civsully1 said:

4) A post battle video replay.

Fascinating! As Mr. Kelly said, there are many problems with Total War replays, but I think I'd be more then willing to deal with the bugs. Come to think of it, that would be a really fantastic feature. I mean, Total War battles are kind of useful to rewatch, but the battles in UG:CW are so intense and strategy-oriented, I think it would really help.

What would be REALLY cool, though I'm not sure how realistic it would be to implement, would be a battle replay via an animated map. Kind of like the ones on the Civil War Trust site.

• Like 1

I haven't played in a couple of months and don't know when (or if) I will play again. I am curious to see how the fixed scaling works but there are other things that take the fun out of the game. It would be nice if the devs had a sticky thread to mention which complaints they plan to look at and which ones they actually believe are valid features that we are going to be stuck with. Seeing the same complaints mentioned over and over leaves one to wonder if they see those particular complaints as non-issues. The difficulty moving troops short distances with accuracy (and safety) is one. Controlled withdraws is part of that.  And an enemy who would rather die to the last man than lose a battle is another I can think of. A really nice game for the most part but some little things seem to be really irritating that would appear to be easily fixed.