Game-Labs Forum

Is there anyway to make units HOLD formation after a successful melee???

LegioX

When you are defending a position is there anyway the developers can change/alter/fix/or do something to keep line inf in place after a successful melee while defending? I am finding it very hard to hold a contiunous line of battle after the attackers charges my line and loses a melee fight. 

I just had a game where one of my brigades just held off a melee attack and proceeded to either 1. Chase them or 2. Could not disengage from that federal brigade. The results were my brigade getting to far out from my defensive line (heavy woods) and ran into the open (all the while still chasing this fleeing unit) which resulted in about 3-4 federal brigades owning it. Safe to say that unit got decimated and fell back losing close to 200men in one volley.

this is just fustrating to no end. As soon as I see a unit winning a melee I try to hit retreat, fallback, or manual move them back with nothing working. Something has to be done with this, because it's just down right unhistorical. Regiments/brigades did not go chasing down fleeing units while defending a very good postion from an attacker, while a sea of blue or grey uniforms is not far behind in the rear. Thoughts?

Edited by LegioX
  • Like 3

Detach and Reattach Skirmishers.  When you Attach or Reattach Skirmishers, the brigade resets position to before they engaged in melee.  Yes, it's an exploit, but when this kind of shit happens, it's unfair as hell and I use it anyway to make up for that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Soldier said:

Detach and Reattach Skirmishers.  When you Attach or Reattach Skirmishers, the brigade resets position to before they engaged in melee.  Yes, it's an exploit, but when this kind of shit happens, it's unfair as hell and I use it anyway to make up for that.

Soldier, not sure I'd call that an exploit; more of a triggering mechanism to make the game do what you want it to do. And I plan on trying it out at the next opportunity. I'll let you know how it goes. I would be more than happy if that is the case. Are you using the skirmishers as a flanking melee unit, then reattaching; or just dispacting and recalling them? 

1 hour ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Soldier, not sure I'd call that an exploit; more of a triggering mechanism to make the game do what you want it to do. And I plan on trying it out at the next opportunity. I'll let you know how it goes. I would be more than happy if that is the case. Are you using the skirmishers as a flanking melee unit, then reattaching; or just dispacting and recalling them?

No, no, it's definitely an exploit.  I don't think the devs ever intended for it to be used like that, and they probably don't want it used like that either.  I understand that, but until this melee dragging needs to get fixed, I can and will use this when I see that my brigade is getting dragged too far for me to see it as reasonable.

Just Attach and Reattach the skirmishers quickly, if the brigade hasn't deployed Skirmishers yet.  Hell, you can pause the game and do it instantly even.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Soldier said:

No, no, it's definitely an exploit.  I don't think the devs ever intended for it to be used like that, and they probably don't want it used like that either.  I understand that, but until this melee dragging needs to get fixed, I can and will use this when I see that my brigade is getting dragged too far for me to see it as reasonable.

Just Attach and Reattach the skirmishers quickly, if the brigade hasn't deployed Skirmishers yet.  Hell, you can pause the game and do it instantly even.

Good to know, thanks for sharing. 

6 hours ago, The Soldier said:

Thank you soldier for posting! I can't wait to try this. I'm happy there's a fix, albeit a very roundabout and unintentional fix

Edited by CaptainKanundrum

Oddly enough telling them to man fortifications anywhere on the map will get the unit to stop right away. Issue a different command right after and you're set. Equally gamey as detaching and attacking skirmishers. Give us a "Guard" function like Total War! 

Or, alternatively, as units gain more experience, they have less sticky melee and they break formation less.