Game-Labs Forum

Nansemond river

Can somebody give any advices on beating CSA at the Nansemond river? I'm stuck trying to take over the fort. The enemy is covered by fortifications AND the forest, plus they have devastating guns that, as you know, can magically shoot through the friendly units without hurting them (do game-labs even planning to fix it?), so all of my charges only end up as pointless mass slaughters of my soldiers.

Edited by Ultra_Tovarisch

How I did it, something pretty miraculous happened.  I deployed about a division to flank left, a division to go through the center, and 3 or 4 of my best melee troops plus some smoothbore cannon to tackle the fortifications and cannon on the right.  When my left flank division presented itself first, I put a unit facing horizontally across the small creek and, the AI completely forgot about the defenses and move nearly all it's mean over to the left flank.  The rest of my left division and my center division moved up and poured flanking fire in on the enemy in the forest - they were trapped there, if they tried to move back to the point they'd get flanked and if they tried to move left, they'd get fired upon by my most veteran brigade.

Least to say, once the second phase opened up and the ironclads started bombarding the fortifications, my melee troops made mince meat out of the cannon crews.  I think I killed somewhere around 10,000 Rebels there and captured 12 cannon of varying type as well as a whole bunch of CS Richmonds and Fayettevilles.

This is the one where the CSA has a fort on the right side and you have to kill off the batteries and capture the fort to win, right?  If so the key is to RUN all of your units up the right coastline ASAP and get to the fort before the CSA units get there first.  The long way would be to demonstrate along a long front in the center with a strong skirmish while trying to roll up the CSA right flank (Union left).  That way you divide their attention but also don't suffer too many casualties across that open ground.  

11 hours ago, Don't Escrow Taxes said:

This is the one where the CSA has a fort on the right side and you have to kill off the batteries and capture the fort to win, right?  If so the key is to RUN all of your units up the right coastline ASAP and get to the fort before the CSA units get there first.  The long way would be to demonstrate along a long front in the center with a strong skirmish while trying to roll up the CSA right flank (Union left).  That way you divide their attention but also don't suffer too many casualties across that open ground.  

There are enemy units from the very first second of the battle.

2 hours ago, Ultra_Tovarisch said:

There are enemy units from the very first second of the battle.

Wonder if that one was changed. I also saw on a previous patch that only the artillery started at the fort and there was an opening window to take advantage of that if you zerged cavalry in, but I didn't bring an army I felt comfortable doing that with and so took the long slow way or circling all the way around and compressing them inside the fort and slowly grinding them down.