Game-Labs Forum

Replacement of Officers during battle

Just now, Wandering1 said:

If you were determined enough to micro a bunch of detached skirmishers, I'm pretty sure you could bait them into walking into the open at Larkin Field rather than the blob of trees in the center. You would bait them by getting them to charge your detached skirmishers, and they would take the 'shortest' path to get back to wherever they were going.

Yeah, I was messing around with that, just too many guys, they stacked up and did that little shift that everyone complains about when units are in the same spot, then came in hot through the trees and the field at the same time anyway. I'll give it another shot at some other juncture. It's absolutely that blob of trees in the center between the two VPs that's the problem. By default they're going to largely path through it and not really hit the gully since they're coming from S/SE to start, not SW.

12 minutes ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Yeah, I was messing around with that, just too many guys, they stacked up and did that little shift that everyone complains about when units are in the same spot, then came in hot through the trees and the field at the same time anyway. I'll give it another shot at some other juncture. It's absolutely that blob of trees in the center between the two VPs that's the problem. By default they're going to largely path through it and not really hit the gully since they're coming from S/SE to start, not SW.

Well, it's not just Larkin you can drag them to, getting them to run through Spain gets the same job done in terms of making sure they're not in cover. But yes, it is indeed a micro nightmare. It was one of the things I screwed up when the melee cavalry got brave and hit my skirmishers while I was trying to bait.

1 hour ago, Hitorishizuka said:

I always use detached skirmishers en-masse, they just had enough guys to ram it through unfortunately. Turn one brigade but the 3 next to him keep advancing anyway.

Eh, not a big deal, it's final results that matter anyway, and giving ground is a valid strategy. I think the terrain at Spain/Larkin sucks frankly, so I don't usually like to defend there anyway.

Agree completely.  Honestly doesn't matter where you bleed them.  Might as well use the best placement for your composition/ their attack method anyways