Game-Labs Forum

How Accurate is this Article on ACW Tactics?

paulus1975

I was told that skirmishers in the UK army were generally the best troops in each regiment. They were expected to be the first to engage the enemy and provide reconnaissance, then engage enemy skirmishers before picking off officers whilst the rest of the regiment would just march in and then blast the biggest target. Grenadier companies were usually heavy mobs made of the biggest and toughest soldiers used for finishing off for dug in troops or for spearheading charges. 

I think gradually most armies realised that eventually skirmishers were the way that infantry were evolving. 

14 hours ago, AegorBlackfyre said:

Skirmishers:

Frederick was also whining that Austrian light infantrymen sent ahead of their main line were picking off officers and men while taking cover behind trees and terrain features.  With an army made in many cases of forcibly recruited men held in bondage only by the threat of severe punishment, Frederick couldn't trust his men to go forward and skirmish. With the prospect of freedom, they might run away and never be seen again.  Frederick resisted this change, at least for a while, then embraced it.

This part is actually complete garbage based on prejudices.

1. Since 1740 (the beginning of the Silesian War) Prussia formed "Jäger zu Fuß"-Companies which were kind of Elite-Skirmishers with Rifles which did exactly what "Frederick was whining about".

2. Austrian punishments weren't any better or worse than Prussian-Punishments and the way the Prussian army recruited itself wasn't particular "special" compared to other armies in Europe.

3. True is only that Prussia never really adopted until late in the war skirmishing by units not trained nor equipped for it.

To this the statement the "Austro-Prussian War" would have been the first "modern war" is IMO highly arguable.
Depending on definition of a "modern war" it would either be the Crimean War, the German-French-War or the Russo-Japanese-War.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Thonar said:

This part is actually complete garbage based on prejudices.

1. Since 1740 (the beginning of the Silesian War) Prussia formed "Jäger zu Fuß"-Companies which were kind of Elite-Skirmishers with Rifles which did exactly what "Frederick was whining about".

2. Austrian punishments weren't any better or worse than Prussian-Punishments and the way the Prussian army recruited itself wasn't particular "special" compared to other armies in Europe.

3. True is only that Prussia never really adopted until late in the war skirmishing by units not trained nor equipped for it.

To this the statement the "Austro-Prussian War" would have been the first "modern war" is IMO highly arguable.
Depending on definition of a "modern war" it would either be the Crimean War, the German-French-War or the Russo-Japanese-War.

i didn't write this myself it was in the link provided i do not know much of Prussian techniques i was only stating that skirmishers were becoming more and more important in warfare.

2 hours ago, Thonar said:

Or Napoleonic wars or the 7 year war... again depending on definitions and the focus.
(technology? organisation of armies? of the states? of how involved the civilian society war or?

The main point is that way, way to many american historians and most documentaries about the civil war fall for the usual american centered world view and lack of knowledge of military history in general.

The civil war was the first modern war... (no - depending on definition earlier or later wars are better options)
first total war... (no - depending on definition earlier or later wars are better options)
the rifle musket was completely new weapons, (no it was not, it had been around since the mid 1840ties and by 1860 was the standard infantry firearm in most European armies)
it caused the huge casualties, (no lack of military competence, the terrain and a number of other factors caused it)
it saw the first use of railroads in war (no, they where used at least by 1848)
it saw the first use of ironclads (no that was during the Crimean war, if not before.. .but the first ironclad on ironclad battle was during the civil war)

i think its close to it, difference between rifles and muskets is not too high, only issue i see is the fact there is no shrapnel round for artillery, only short range canister. Anyway, tactically, all historical civil war tactics works quite well. Battles are a lot better than battles in ETW or NTW, i definitely dont miss seeing faces of each soldiers with some crazy unnecessary or completely wrong animations (solid shot hitting infantry in NTW = bowling figurines)