Game-Labs Forum

Paint! How to make it more of a collectable

Hey,

here's a suggestion for paint. I would suggest that paint drops given your rank. So if you're a low rank newbie, midshipsmen or a bit higher, you would only get paint for privateers and cutters. The higher you get the more paint you unlock (with the ships), but you do not lose the paint you can already get (maybe disable it?).

I find this would make paint a nicer collectible for new players and would urge them to go to PvP events, knowing they won't get some L'ocean paint that they have no use for. 

• Like 1

But hey,

this is a suggestion for after all the new paintjobs are out. Right now this makes no sense. I heard they're coming out relatively soon though, so I'm putting this here.

22 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

New players don't go to the PvP events.  Unless you're in a group of at least 5 or so, you're just bait.  

I suggest this gives new players a reason to go. Also, new players won't know that. The more players come, the harder it is for ganks.

4 hours ago, Lz3 said:

Hey,

here's a suggestion for paint. I would suggest that paint drops given your rank. So if you're a low rank newbie, midshipsmen or a bit higher, you would only get paint for privateers and cutters. The higher you get the more paint you unlock (with the ships), but you do not lose the paint you can already get (maybe disable it?).

I find this would make paint a nicer collectible for new players and would urge them to go to PvP events, knowing they won't get some L'ocean paint that they have no use for. 

A L'Ocean (or any other high rate ship) paint can be valuable to a low(er) ranked player.  They are a commodity and can be sold for much gold or traded for something else that is of value to that player.

5 minutes ago, Chijohnaok said:

A L'Ocean (or any other high rate ship) paint can be valuable to a low(er) ranked player.  They are a commodity and can be sold for much gold or traded for something else that is of value to that player.

That is true, but it's arguable that personalizing your ship is more valuable than selling it, especially with money being terribly easy to get right now.

Plus, you could still sell your paint. I'd even suggest adding paint rarities to preserve that feature so all low ship paint doesn't have the same worth.