Game-Labs Forum

Does anyone know if skirmisher AI is going to be changed?

timmins

Hi all. I haven't really been following the developers very closely in the last couple months, So I just wondered if they had talked about some fix for the incredibly frustrating skirmisher AI. Specifically, the way they are designed to run backwards constantly, regardless of cover. It seems to do more harm than good, because often, you are firing at enemy skirmishers, and basically, your short ranged sharps carbine troops are effectively running out of their own gun range but remaining in the enemy, and far more seriously, often leave cover to do so.

It seems that the skirmisher AI provides absolutely no value in most circumstances, often is an active hinderance, and does not appear to be based on any common sense system, like morale, command, efficiency, or simply "how many guys did my 200 man unit just shoot at? 1500? or 50?).

Any word from the developers on this? I hate to sudmit it in technical support, but it seems that 90% of the frustration I have experienced with the game is just that guys who have no reason to leave cover, for some reason insist on leaving cover, even when it's REALLY important that they not leave cover. I wouldn't mind if it were just that skirmishers had really low morale and ran away under enemy fire. But it's just SILLY in the battle of phillipi when my 400 carbine infantry cannot force themselves to stand and face hexammer's 60 remaining guys cowering in a river ford. 

Also.... I have had trouble remounting carbine cavalry after I dismount. The icon changes, but they don't seem to actually get their horses back. Bug, or feature? 

I agree skirmishers can be pretty boring in this situation. You can force them to stand in their position issuing HOLD order, but this attracts the balls (a big unit might face towar it and kill it). That's certainly why the were scripted to run away after each volley,

Currently, skirmishers demand huge micro-management, and I'm afraid they'd be game-breakers if we were to have an MP mode. Because we need MULTIPLAYER.

Edited by Grognard_JC

Skirmishers were never meant to be used the way they are in this game. During the Civil War they screened their line of battle, by engaging enemy skirmishers. When confronted with a line of battle they retreated to the safety of their own battle line. Sometimes they would be placed in buildings or at river crossings to defend those points, but they were always close to their own regiments. Cavalry skirmishers on the other hand operated differently. In fact Cavalry as a whole acted differently. In reality Civil War Cavalry very rarely charged infantry unless like the 8th Pennsylvania at Chancellorsville, it was an act of desperation. When confronted with infantry cavalry typically dismounted and fought as infantry. 

I only wonder because cav and skirmishers are brigades you can create as part of your Corp, that its simply a gameplay decision of rock/paper/scissors when it comes to dealing with skirmishers.  By what I mean is, maybe skirmishers work how they do now to force you to have at least some cavalry in your army to deal with them. Just a thought.

As far as the skirms always running away, that may need to be changed.  If you really want them to hold position, they should be able to hold position no?

Right. That could be a unit that's better micromanaged, but still effective for a little while if you forget about them.

A possibility of limiting their range and effectiveness would be to lower their condition.  They're always running but never seem to tire out, but if they're part of a brigade and run for too long they get tired?  That would keep them on a short leash, so to speak.  You couldn't detach skirmishers and run them all over the place like special forces as fallendown described them.  You'd detach them only to move ahead into some woods, protect a flank, protect artillery, etc.  And if their "auto retreat" behavior remained, then they'd get tired from doing that all the time too.

Maybe the exception would be to build real skirmishers in the Camp screen if you want a more specialized unit to operate independently.  But all of those brigade-detached skirmishers would have limited range and effectiveness.  Right now they can be exploited by using them as bullet/cannon sponges, and harassing enemy troops behind the lines ad nauseum.

• 1 month later...

On 12/2/2016 at 3:09 AM, fallendown said:

Sometimes they would be placed in buildings or at river crossings to defend those points, but they were always close to their own regiments. 

This gives me the idea that a restriction should be put on detached skirmishers, only allowing let them go a certain distance from the host brigade. Let dedicated skirmishers play the role of infiltrating behind enemy lines.