Game-Labs Forum

UGG as a way of understanding the historical battle?

Dr Romeo Chair

Hi,

I just bought the game and haven't had a chance to play yet, but am wondering if it's possible (or would it be possible) to use the game as a learning tool to visualize what actually happened during the real battle of Gettysburg? i.e. some way of scripting the actual historical battle accurately but allowing viewing of different areas as thing progress?

Having visited the battlefields around Gettysburg I found it hard to wrap my head around what really happened there, even with charts, dioramas, etc. -- so when I saw UGG for the first time last night, I bought it right away, just to get a deeper understanding -- hope that's not misguided!

Thanks,

DRC

I've learn't alot more about the battle both due to the game itself and the many contributors on this forum who will willingly share with you.

As to using the game itself, yes, there are certain scenarios that can be played to show the starting historic positions and troop types/strengths but once the game begins the human player (s) or AI do not necessarily follow the historic moves.

Hi Dr Romeo! I should suggest to play one campaign as CS (there is a reason for that) to unlock the custom battles related with the Confederates (advancing to every next phase unlocks the battles). Then in custom battles you can choose the:

1. July 1 - Morning: Arriving at Gettysburg (Historical scenario)

2. July 1 - Afternoon: The Confederates are driven back to Herr's Ridge (Historical scenario)

3. July 2 - Afternoon: Longstreet attacks the Union left flank (Historical scenario)

4. July 3 - Pickett charges the Union center (Historical scenario)

This is pretty much the historical battle. It is better to play them as CS against a defensive AI. In this way the AI/Union will defend their positions while the player/CS can reproduce more faithfully the historical offensive moves.

Hi DRC,

UGG is a game that takes license with history - in some cases to the point of unadulterated fiction (e.g., cavalry in UGG is way, way out of line for the ACW reality).

So to some extent you can "see what happened at Gettysburg" with UGG.

As far as "scripting the actual historical battle" this depends on your definition of the terms.

Here are a couple of examples of historical deviations:
Artillery is more than 2X too powerful in UGG than ACW artillery.
The most versatile gun type during the ACW was the 12 lb Napoleon model 1857. In UGG they got the guns wrong and the 3" Ordnance Rifle is far too effective with canister.

Both armies prepared defensive breastworks at Gettysburg. In UGG you can't construct breastworks.

Cavalry fought dismounted on Day 1 - UGG has wonder videttes - that are historical fantasy.

The cavalry fought on East Cavalry Field - not on the main battlefield.
Farnswoth's Charge is the exception - South Cavalry Field - where it was predictably slaughtered under the command of Judson "Kill Cavalry" Kilpatrick.

etc., etc., etc...

:( Another post with the same content.

:angry: Not sure why this posted multiple times.

Edit: 3 posts were merged by Husserl.