Game-Labs Forum

Surrender during boarding

So the benefit to the attacker is what - saving a smidgeon of crew and a tiny bit of time? It's not a win-win like normal surrendering would be, it's a win-whatever.

Uncertainty and risk makes for more interesting gameplay than just clicking a magical escape key to minimize your losses when you mess up. I brought up the sinking surrender issue because if it was not for that, the uncertainty and risk would be great there as well - e.g. do you surrender while you still can or risk pushing on at the risk of sinking?

Not to mention the historical aspect of it. If someone felt outmatched and wanted to be left alive I reckon they'd have chosen to strike their sails and surrendered early rather than getting hammered by cannonballs, pulled in grapple hooks, charged by a boarding crew and then gone "Hey guys, now we surrender, okay?".

They get the ship and its cargo for thier win is what they get.

I do agree its annoying when people surrender after fighting till the waves are iver the top of ship then rob us of the win BUT surrender should be an option.

The devs need to come up with a real surrender option and reward/penalties. I suggested the winner gets to ranson/capture and force to work/or kill a % of surrender crew to make it more real and also encourages peolle to not fight till they are sunk then surrender. People didnt like that idea but havent offered better.

The devs should come up with something.

They get the ship and its cargo for thier win is what they get.

I do agree its annoying when people surrender after fighting till the waves are iver the top of ship then rob us of the win BUT surrender should be an option.

The devs need to come up with a real surrender option and reward/penalties. I suggested the winner gets to ranson/capture and force to work/or kill a % of surrender crew to make it more real and also encourages peolle to not fight till they are sunk then surrender. People didnt like that idea but havent offered better.

The devs should come up with something.

Personally, I think the punishment for surrender is fine as is. You already need to replace any crew you lost before you surrendered, and you also lose the dura and any cargo you were carrying. Not to mention there's no historical basis (except for pirates) of ransoming the surviving crew, putting them to the sword, or having them join the pirate crew. If surrender suddenly becomes as expensive, if not more so than sinking, then sinking and fireshipping will go back to being the preferrable and cheaper option. Hell, people may do it anyways just to try and kill your crew as well as deny you the refill from their own crew.