Game-Labs Forum

Artillery Ammunition Settings

MikeK

If ordered by the player to fire canister a battery conserves its fire until it can use that.

If ordered to fire shell or shot, does the battery switch ammo when reloading if approached within canister range or stick to the set ammo type? 

I'd like to know this as well.

If ARTY is on AUTO when does it choose shell/shot/canister. i.e. in what circumstances should i select Canister if auto does it just fine for me

If you select one of them does it just always fire that type or switch to canister as MikeK asks if enemy gets close

Agreed ^^^ also 
How n Why does rate of fire n Loading time differ, between munitions.
You would think a Battery crew would get that down to within a few seconds with changing munitions type.(Double Canisters)
I believe all three would be brought fwd(station)as the situation within the battle changed.
i.e canisters being brought up before a enemy unit was within 100 yrds.

When On Auto, how does arty choose between a greater threat when in Shell range(Brigade/Batteries)?

From the Quick Guide:
Artillery specific controls
Auto: Enabled by default. In this state, your artillery will use the most suitable ammunition for the current target's range.
Solid/Shell/Canister: Left click the Solid/Shell/Canister buttons to specify an ammunition type to use.

Ammo types have different effective ranges and loading times. Solid shot has the longest range and fastest rate of fire,
but is the least powerful. Shells have medium range and longer reloads, but can devastate nearby enemy formations due to their explosive charge.
Canister has a very short range, very slow rate of fire and is the deadliest.
Now iirc, I believe a dev/someone said, that If the piece is reloading (Solid Shot) n you pick lets say a 'Shell'.
I understood that the Artillery Piece would continue loading the Solid shot ,'fire' than begin reloading the
Shell as next round.

I have watched the reloading indicator with my artillery, when I have selectad a different munition,
the reloading indicator animation continues the reloading( no interuption). So I assumed that the next round would be shell.

I generally choose munitions/target my batteries manualy, This way I am ready with canisters/shell when a area is being pushed with
heavy infantry/brigades and/or being bombarded with artillery.

We all have our own style to manage/play.....