Game-Labs Forum

Line Facing Question

KMill1

Hey guys,

I've been trying to get my units to form into a straight line with no sucess and I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried double clicking a general so that all the units in his radius are highlighted then right clicking anywhere to see if the facing icon will appear and it doesn't appear. I've also tried L-Ctrl highlighting a general and all the other types of units that go with the facing then right clicking anywhere and it still doesn't work. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have a feeling its something obvious.. Thanks!

Ctrl-drag box or select multiple units by other means, then Ctrl-Right Click and shift mouse to rotate facing.  The artillery is automatically positioned relative to the infantry, which is OK because I'll fine tune it when it approaches position.

Hi KMill1, Welcome to the community...

Well I don't think u can do that with a click. There is no one key/click that will bring units into Battle/straight Line.
This has to be done manually, This is one of the things that keep the game interesting.

Forming in A Group/Division:
This is where I quickly drag each unit(s)*Hold L-Ctrl/LMB drag to group Box/LMB and click the single units to group them.
Than they can be put into your Battle Formation.
Adjust artillery, ur front line, placing reserves, etc... prior to Grouping.

For me this cuts out a lot of work, Dbl click a group key, your than moved,see the Group/Division(the main Body). 
This lets you quickly counter threats/ checking (Condition)/There Field Placement for strengthing/flanking/Support etc.

Rotating Single:
Single units once highlighted you will see their Field of fire arc indicating which way facing,
or if you press and hold the unit rotate key it will also bring up the green facing indicator(rotate key just works with single units,  iirc.)
Just move mouse to rotate while holding rotate key.
Great for smaller units in heavy congested areas.
With that you can rotate on a dime.

Rotate more than 2 units or whole Div).
If you click n hold left Mouse(march/movement key) on any highlighted Division/units.
You can rotate/move all, it also highlights the facing indicator.

When placing units in a different place on the Battle Field you will have to adjust/re-adjust
your Groups/Division orientation( A Diagonal move especially)
Moving Artillery Batteries/Units/ Brigades within Army Divisions with a moving changing front 
is entertaining to say the least...

Anyways nothing will replace "Time n Practice".... in Multiplayer u will learn fast.

Generals I use only as a place for my units to recharge there Morale/Condition.
They will be close to my front line's heaviest engagements or just behind main battle so as to have a place to rotate my brigades
when there Morale/Conditions is low/weakened. They tend to drift,so locating sometimes can be a pain.

You may have read/gone thru this,I find it handy to refer to:
http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/746-online-short-guide/

Cheers,,,,,

edit/ Yes what MikeK said, works great. Saves more time...