Game-Labs Forum

What would make this game Amazing?

patton17

I have played 17 hours so far with this game and i have to say I am very impressed. This game has me hooked. Great job to all the developers (especially Darth) and keep up the hard work. I believe this game has a lot of potential and could very well surpass any civil war game to date. I do believe that there are some things, coming from a personal view, that would make this game become the best civil war game so far. 

Just a reminder this is my personal input

1. Harsher terrain: I wish it was harder to move troops though woods, fences, and stone walls which was a very real problem in the Battle of Gettysburg. It would be impossible to move artillery on  to Big Round Top. I wish there was a more defined struggle for troops to cross different terrain. 

2. Uniform Variations: I think it kind grows old looking at identical blue and brown uniforms on the battle field. I believe that it would more realistic and interesting if the uniforms varied especially depending on the brigade (black hats for iron brigade etc) 

3. Historical Music: Music creates an atmosphere to the game. It would be awesome if when one side  carried out a victory, their anthem would play. For example if the union won a victory, the battle hymn of the republic would play and vice versa with Dixie for a Confederate victory. Music in the main menu would be cool too. 

4. Thicker Smoke: One thing I do notice is that the smoke vanishes after a few seconds. In real civil war battles smoke would blanket the battlefield in a thick haze making it a nightmare. The smoke and explosions in this picture look so much better and more realistic and intense compared to the current version. I would love to see that returned.  

Ultimate-General-thumb-2.jpg

5. BLOOD: Why not make the battle gory, Gettysburg was the bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil!

6. Different Line Formations: I would like to be able to choose different formations for my troops. 

7. Regimental Control: I know this may not be practical for a game like this but i think it would be interesting to be see and control troops on a regimental basis. If i am being flanked by cavalry it would be nice to move a part of my line to face them. It can be annoying to have to move my whole brigade but again this game is meant for moving massive armies without affecting performance to greatly which is where Total War has had problems. 

This is my take on what i think would make this game exceptional. Tell me what you guys think or if guys wanna add.

• Like 1

Thank you for your very thoroughly written suggestions and welcome to the game!

I think the next patch will make it amazing in terms of gameplay & AI. 

Maybe too optimistic to say but from our tests the AI and general strategic feel of the gameplay should be the best yet for the game ;)

1. Harsher terrain: I wish it was harder to move troops though woods, fences, and stone walls which was a very real problem in the Battle of Gettysburg. It would be impossible to move artillery on  to Big Round Top. I wish there was a more defined struggle for troops to cross different terrain. 

There are several penalties to movement, in the coming patch this will become even more evident. But we cannot negate movement in areas for artillery because it would create a bunch of gameplay issues.

2. Uniform Variations: I think it kind grows old looking at identical blue and brown uniforms on the battle field. I believe that it would more realistic and interesting if the uniforms varied especially depending on the brigade (black hats for iron brigade etc) 

This we wanted too. But we could offer after release, at least in PC version. For tablet version the limited resources would not allow it.

3. Historical Music: Music creates an atmosphere to the game. It would be awesome if when one side  carried out a victory, their anthem would play. For example if the union won a victory, the battle hymn of the republic would play and vice versa with Dixie for a Confederate victory. Music in the main menu would be cool too. 

Music will be offered in next patches yes.

4. Thicker Smoke: One thing I do notice is that the smoke vanishes after a few seconds. In real civil war battles smoke would blanket the battlefield in a thick haze making it a nightmare. The smoke and explosions in this picture look so much better and more realistic and intense compared to the current version. I would love to see that returned.  

After release and after we optimise performance we could offer an intensified effects setting but now it is early to promise.

5. BLOOD: Why not make the battle gory, Gettysburg was the bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil!

We can consider later.

6. Different Line Formations: I would like to be able to choose different formations for my troops. 

This we will not offer for this game. Because we use brigade level and this era did not have complex formations, it will only have Line and Column formations as now.

7. Regimental Control: I know this may not be practical for a game like this but i think it would be interesting to be see and control troops on a regimental basis. If i am being flanked by cavalry it would be nice to move a part of my line to face them. It can be annoying to have to move my whole brigade but again this game is meant for moving massive armies without affecting performance to greatly which is where Total War has had problems. 

There was concept design for this mechanic but did not make it for this game because of various code issues it would create. In the next game maybe :)

Hi all!

For me, it would be a way to change the speed of the units.

They move way to fast to look realistic, especially for troops in formation and during changes of direction. Crossing water or other landscape-features don't seem to have much effect either.

Is there any hope of a speed-slider, or maybe console-commands (like Company of Heroes) that can control the movement-speed of the units? :)

Cheers,

[quote name="BodyBag" For me, it would be a way to change the speed of the units.

They move way to fast to look realistic, especially for troops in formation and during changes of direction. Crossing water or other landscape-features don't seem to have much effect either.

Is there any hope of a speed-slider, or maybe console-commands (like Company of Heroes) that can control the movement-speed of the units? :)

Cheers,

This^

I would like a slider also, this way ppl can chose there own speeds/playing style.