Game-Labs Forum

Avoiding combat for 1 hour

Dumu

But in this situation the outcome of the battles is clear, there is no way for the frigate to capture the prize. Even considering the "real life" situation it would have been impossible for the frigate to capture the ship that was sailing with us. Staying in the battle after 10mins is just complete waste of everyones time, because if we would have left the battle, no one would've gotten the ship anyways (no shadowing to take back the prize).

And what comes to the exploit talk in there. There was no such thing done by any of our group, we sailed there straight away (atleast i did), didnt stay in the ending screen at any point. I tagged a ship that was closing the harbor and had a fair fight against it. Situation in the beginning was 1vs1, other guys joined afterwards. I dont think i even visited that harbor at all. Even if the guys that joined the battle came out of that harbor, that would make all sense for the "real life situation", ships in the harbor joining the battle just outside. I want to make this game fun for everyone, and if some players from our clan [KF] is doing stuff that feels like expoit or griefing, let me know ingame and i'll address the situation as best as i can. 

Could it be possible to add a feature that if there is no damage done, the battle would automatically end after 10 minutes of sailing?

There is so much waiting in this game already that this kind of "gameplays" just ruins the game. If you allow players to stay in battles without doing anything, there will be players joining missions and trader fights on the npc side and just sailing away, preventing any capture of any ship unless they want to wait for a full 1,5 hours. Whenever you feel like doing something else than playing you can just set your ship to ruin somebody else's game for no cost. And in my opinion, that is exactly what griefing is.

• Like 3

there are two sides to this problem and one of them is solvable another is not

1) We are fixing the fact that you can enter battles out of port (invisible or with invul timer) - so no more sitting in battles leaving bait outside.

2) Second is scanning the horizon - if you see enemy sails on the horizon they can enter your battle if they are 2 mins away from you and if they enter the battle they will exhibit all kinds of enemy behavior in battle. We police chat but we don't police how people fight you are his enemies. 

• Like 1

you can just set your ship to ruin somebody else's game for no cost. And in my opinion, that is exactly what griefing is.

But you have captured one player's third rate - did not you ruin his game for no cost? If we go this route we are going to touch a lot of grey areas :)

Regarding this particular situation we said what we wanted to add above. Until you are able to assign prize crew and give a command this mechanic will work the way it works now. The ruleset does not know if enemies are sailing to you or away from you at this stage. 

In your particular case i would just exchange one belle poule for 3rd rate (sailing close and pressing x) and would exit the battle saving 1 hour. Because of 5 min battle over timer he won't be able to sail back to to claim your belle poule left in battle. 

• Like 1

This topic is not black and white unfortunately - if denying enemy a capture is griefing then taking enemy bellona is also griefing. Parties did not have to stay in battle for an hour. You can exit any time if you don't receive damage. They just wanted to cap that bellona, while enemy did not want them to capture it.

Except that taking the Bellona required defeating it in combat, while preventing them from capturing the already defeated Bellona required no fighting at all.

• Like 1

there are two sides to this problem and one of them is solvable another is not

1) We are fixing the fact that you can enter battles out of port (invisible or with invul timer) - so no more sitting in battles leaving bait outside.

2) Second is scanning the horizon - if you see enemy sails on the horizon they can enter your battle if they are 2 mins away from you and if they enter the battle they will exhibit all kinds of enemy behavior in battle. We police chat but we don't police how people fight you are his enemies. 

I dont really think in this case that there was no issues with sitting in a port or exit results or anything, there was actually several battles ongoing, and i think we were actually outnumbered in many of those. So if there was an exploit going on, it was against us more than them.

But you have captured one player's third rate - did not you ruin his game for no cost? If we go this route we are going to touch a lot of grey areas :)

Regarding this particular situation we said what we wanted to add above. Until you are able to assign prize crew and give a command this mechanic will work the way it works now. The ruleset does not know if enemies are sailing to you or away from you at this stage. 

In your particular case i would just exchange one belle poule for 3rd rate (sailing close and pressing x) and would exit the battle saving 1 hour. Because of 5 min battle over timer he won't be able to sail back to to claim your belle poule left in battle. 

How is capturing a player's third rate in any way ruining some ones gameplay? Are you actually saying that? The 3rd was captured by a constitution, he was not prepared for boarding. And that is actually playing the game, having boarding actions and firing cannons and all that stuff. The guy made a mistake and got captured, both of our 3rds were so far away that they didnt really participate in the action at all. Sometimes you lose your ship and sometimes you capture someone else's ship, there is no griefing there. Keeping people waiting for no other reason than just being upset of losing something on the other hand IS griefing. We didnt really care about the ship, we waited out of principle that no one should do this. Community should take care that this kind of things do not happen.

• Like 2

I have not experienced this situation, but I rather like the idea that if no-one on either side has been hit by the enemy for perhaps 10 minutes, then there is in fact no longer a battle going on, and the battle should end.

10 minutes should be enough for anyone that is catching up to a fleeing enemy (that might still fight)  to get them back into a shooting match. If they manage to keep away for that time then clearly they are not returning to try and regain their teams captured ship.

What about adding the towed prize in the player fleet or what ever version of this cleaver mechanic is already in the game? If you had to actually bring the ship back to a port instead of just make it appear in what ever port you choose with no crew or any kind of delay ?! That would be quite close to what it really was and enemy would have a chance to recapture it. It would also mean that it doesn't matter if you quit the battle or wait for the timer to run out, as long as you captured a ship it is yours, you tow it. Wanna capture a ship in battle ? You're gonna have to tow a ship in battle and spare some of your crew to sail it. No enemy has been taking shots at you or your prize while towing away !? You are free to go good sir, god speed.

From what i understand about this period, that was the harsh reality of prize ships. You had to tow it with a small crew. In my opinion, as long as you have to choose which of the ships you will magically teleport, only once the battle is over, that kind of grief will be an effective ( but a really frustrating cowardly ) strategy.

I think being able to flee the theater of operation WITH your prize is a valid and historical tactic. Sailing a row boat around ships that would otherwise had kicked your ass if you ever tried to get close enough to stop the claim in a meaning less battle doesn't sound too historical nor smart to me.

I don't think any crew in their right mind would have let their captain get a cutter anywhere near enemy frigates to save a defeated hull ... On the other hand, what kind of dumb future Ex-Captain would tell their crew they have to wait until the cutter gets out of sight to claim the prize and get back home because.. you know...

'' Admiral, should we not be sailing back to England now ?!  I am certain the king will be pleased to learn we captured 'La Belle Province'. You will be acclaimed as the first officer to ever capture a 74 canons !''

'' No mister Connely, we shall stay here for at least three bells. ''

'' Admiral, with all due respect, why do we have to wait that long ? The battle is over, we won ! ''

'' Don't you see this Cutter at the horizon mister Connely !? ''

'' Admiral, permission to speak freely ?! ... What in the lord's grace is wrong with you ?! We are weeks away from Port Royal and now we must wait an hour and a half to make sure this bloody Cutter is no threat to our frigates !? ''

'' It is the rule mister Connely, i will not hear an other word about this... ''

{ 1 hour 30 minutes later, sails up, 3 frigates standing still by a 3rd rate derelict. The Cutter has disappeared from the horizon }  

''Mister Connely, would you please activate the teleportation device ? I have a diner with the Duke of Winchester in Port Royal in 5 minutes.''

• Like 2